New apartments open at 10th & Berks

The warehouse currently under renovation across the street from the Temple SEPTA train station used to house cardboard. The remodeled building will now be home to some 222 freshman as well as other apartment dwellers.

The Kardon Building, located on N. 10th between Berks and Montgomery Streets, will be the new apartment complex Temple will use to alleviate the housing shortage. Privately developed by Philadelphia Management Corporation (PMC), the largest apartment owner and operator in downtown Philadelphia, the building will house both freshman students and private tenants. Temple leased the grounds to PMC for a period of 61 years with an option of two 19-year renewals. Once the lease is up, the site becomes University property.
John Niven, Director of University Housing, said that the University is leasing 99 apartments to house 222 freshmen. He added that the Kardon Building would have a residence hall feel as well as six RA’s. Students living in the residence hall of the building would be billed through Temple. Niven said that all freshmen that applied for University housing and weren’t assigned a room were sent letters that provided the option of living in the Kardon building. Kardon apartment assignments were given on a space available basis. Freshman will be separate from other tenants.
“In some ways, it’s comparable to 1300,” Niven said, in reference to the cost of living in the Kardon dorm. The apartments start at $900 a month and get as high as $2,100 a month, while the rates per semester for “1300” start at $2441 for a two-to-four person suite and peak at $3028 for a one-person apartment. He said that the bedrooms are a very good size and every apartment has a huge living room. Two to three students will live in the one-bedroom apartments and four to five students will live in two-bedroom apartments. Niven said all students would have to carry ID. As for guests, students would not be using the guest card system generally used in University housing, but guests would still need to show identification and sign in before entering.
Niven said that students would have to get cable and Internet on their own. Students will have access to their own fitness room, lounges, and light recreation rooms. Niven said 24-hour security would also be provided.
“We just think it’s going to be an excellent living option for students,” he said.
Floors five, six and seven of the eight story building will exclusively house freshman, while the other floors should be filled predominately with upperclassmen who did not receive housing, said Sandra Zerbe, property manager for the Kardon Building. The apartment’s interiors have been completed despite the shortened work schedule and the rooms are ready to house students.
Students moving in this weekend can expect to find:
Baths with granite counters and ceramic tile floors;
Full kitchens with dishwasher and microwave;
Central air carpeting;
High-speed Internet and cable-capable rooms. Freshman will be provided with Direct TV; and
Fitness center, entertainment area and quiet rooms.
Zerbe said that when the Kardon building is finished, it will have 186 apartments, two levels of parking, and a courtyard with a gated entrance. The Atlantic Building, which is adjacent to the Kardon, will have approximately 30 apartments and is expected to be completed this spring.

Alma Cosmeus can be reached at acosmeus@temple.edu