NEW PASSPORT SERVICES OPEN AT TEMPLE

Through a stroke of luck, Temple University now has the opportunity to better serve its students who are interested in studying abroad. This past summer, the Philadelphia Passport Agency set up a satellite office in

Through a stroke of luck, Temple University now has the opportunity to better serve its students who are interested in studying abroad. This past summer, the Philadelphia Passport Agency set up a satellite office in Temple’s Office of International Services.

To complete the passport application, interested persons must meet with a representative in the Office of International Services located in Room 203B of Vivacqua Hall. Sharon Loughran is in the office on Mondays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and Fridays 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Martyn J. Miller is available to accept applications Wednesdays from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.

“We are glad to provide this service to Temple and the surrounding community,” Miller said.

Requirements for a passport begin with verification of your United States citizenship. Acceptable ID includes previous passports, birth certificates or a Naturalization Certificate. Identity verification requires a previous passport or other form of photo ID such as a driver’s license or student identification card.

To complete the process, applicants need to present two acceptable passport photographs, which have numerous requirements. These can be obtained at University Photo on Broad Street for $8, while it is open, or any photo center that advertises passport photos.

The cost for obtaining a passport is $60 in check or money order only. There is an execution fee of $15 to be made out to Temple University and a $45 passport fee made payable to the U.S. Passport Office. The execution fee is required, regardless of where an applicant goes.

Once all requirements are met, the passport takes about 25 days from when it is sent it to be processed until the passport is received. There is the possibility for the application process to take longer, so planning ahead of time is recommended.

An expedited service can get a passport in seven days, but that service costs an additional $35.

The satellite office is for North Philadelphia in general, but so far Loughran and Miller have dealt mostly with faculty, staff and a few people from the surrounding community.

When asked about the number of applicants, Miller said they have had “more than expected.”

At this time, there are between three and five applicants every week.

After the Philadelphia Passport Agency contacted the Office of International Services, Temple had to approve the satellite office. Afterwards, both Loughran and Miller were required to take a training session.

The satellite passport office officially opened up on June 19, 2000. The main branch for the Philadelphia Passport Agency is at 2nd and Chestnut Streets.

More information is available at the OIS website: www.temple.edu/ois/passport.html or at their office in 203B Vivacqua Hall. An application is available on the Internet at https://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html