Nobody told me…

The wide diversity here at Temple can be seen in the various religious affiliations of its students. Whether you went to private school or not, many students still actively practice their religion of choice. However,

The wide diversity here at Temple can be seen in the various religious affiliations of its students. Whether you went to private school or not, many students still actively practice their religion of choice. However, now that you are away from home and do not have mom dragging you to church, you might welcome the break.

Still, many undergraduates want to practice their religion, but do not know where to go to do just that. Since Temple is a public university, the school claims no religious affiliation. There are more than enough outlets here on campus and beyond to help you reach the higher power you have been looking for.

Listed below are just a handful of religious outlets offered in and around campus. Plus, since most are catered to college students, you may be able to avoid that 9 a.m. service that you have always dreaded.

Lutheran Episcopal Campus Ministry: Located at 2129 N. Broad St., is a religious group jointly funded by the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania and the Southeastern Pennsylvania Lutheran Synod. The ministry boasts the youngest Episcopal Priest in the Diocese of Pennsylvania, the Rev. Greg Wilson, who is 28-years-old. LECM advertises meetings throughout the week where students can participate in religious discussion. Even free pizza is involved. Trips and campus events are also planned. For more information, visit www.templelecm.org.

Hillel at Temple: The Hillel foundation at Temple is widely advertised as the premiere Jewish student community on campus. Besides offering a place for students to meet and hang out, Hillel also boasts a Judaica library, kosher kitchen, computers, television, VCR, chapel and piano, amongst other resources. Throughout the year Hillel funds many activities on campus, including guest speakers, trips, dances and “home-cooked” Shabbat dinners. For more information, call (215) 769-1174 or visit 2014 N. Broad St.

Muslim Student’s Association: According to the Web site, this association boasts “a great relationship with not only the Muslim community of North Philadelphia, but with the non-Muslim community as well.” Besides providing as a space for fellow Muslims to meet and come together, the MSA here at Temple holds weekly events on campus, and also special holiday events, such as the yearly Ramadan National Fast-A-Thon.
For more information, visit www.temple.edu/msa/index.html.

Philadelphia Buddhist Association: Founded in 1986, the PBA is a place where teachers offer lessons for students of Buddhism with all levels of experience. In addition, PBA offers a place for meditation, hosts retreats and workshops, and offers advice and to those who practice Buddhism or are simply interested in the faith. Located at 3741 Walnut St, the PBA also offers information on numerous Buddhist groups throughout the Philadelphia region, New Jersey and Delaware, so students can find a location close to home. For more information call (610) 660-9269 or visit www.philabuddhistassoc.org/.

Newman Center Catholic Campus Ministry: Since 1921 the Newman Club has been a presence at Temple University. Located across from White Hall at 2129 N. Broad St., the Newman Center holds mass every day of the week at various times to fit almost anyone’s schedule. In addition, Bible studies and various student events are held throughout the year including off-campus retreats. For more information, visit www.templenewmancenter.org/index.html.

Crosswalk: Sponsored by the Campus Crusade for Christ, Crosswalk promotes itself as a Christian movement on campus whose goal is to provide fellowship for Christians of all denominations. Besides Bible studies and prayer crew, Crosswalk sponsers various activities anywhere from feeding the homeless to playing flag football. For more information, visit www.temple.edu/crosswalk/.

Michelle Nicoletto can be reached at mnic@temple.edu.