Nobody told me…

With the holidays quickly approaching, admitting you are strapped for cash is an understatement. Add to that list being strapped for time and sanity while you’re at it. The tension eases a bit when finals

With the holidays quickly approaching, admitting you are strapped for cash is an understatement. Add to that list being strapped for time and sanity while you’re at it.

The tension eases a bit when finals are over, and what’s left is time you could be enjoying the break … but you’re broke from all that gift buying.

Enter Temple’s Office of Student Activities.

In addition to the cinema in Tuttleman, the Office of Student Activities offers cheap – and sometimes free – tickets to various museums and theaters throughout the city.

This past semester alone, discounted tickets were sold to shows at the Merriam Theater, Walnut Street Theatre, Arden Theatre, Kimmel Center and the Academy of Music.

Though the titles, dates and cost of these shows vary, the Office of Student Activities also offers tickets to museums across the city.

Mummers Museum: Open since 1976, this museum is completely dedicated to brave the elements each January to participate in the New Year’s Day parade downtown. Regular student admission: $2.50. Tickets from the Office of Student Activities: FREE. It is located at 1100 S. Second St. and can be reached at (215) 336-3050.

National Museum of American Jewish History: Located across from Independence Mall and half a block from the Liberty Bell, this museum is advertised as “the only museum in the nation dedicated exclusively to collecting, preserving and interpreting artifacts pertaining to the American Jewish experience.” The exhibits are ample and are self-guiding.

Regular student admission: $3. Tickets from the Office of Student Activities: $2. The National Museum of American Jewish History is located at 55 N. Fifth St. and can be reached at (215) 923-3811.

The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts: Just down Broad Street, the academy is America’s first art museum and school of fine arts. The collection is by American artists and features paintings, works on paper and sculptures.

Regular student admission: $4. Tickets from the Office of Student Activities: FREE. The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts is located at 118 N. Broad St. and can be reached at (215) 972-7600.

The Philadelphia Museum of Art: The most famous museum in the city, the collections include Asian, Indian, European and American art in all forms.

Regular student admission: $7. Tickets from the Office of Student Activities: $5. The museum is located at 26th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and can be reached at (215) 763-8100.

The African American Museum in Philadelphia: The mission of the AAMP is “channel the energy engage the imagination.” The collection houses over 500,000 pieces, including photos, documents, costumes, and folk art.

Regular student admission: $4. Tickets from the Office of Student Activities: $2.The African American Museum in Philadelphia is located at 701 Arch St. and can be reached at (215) 574-0380.

The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies: After a recent merger with The Historical Society of Pennsylvania, The Balch Institute continues to feature exhibits highlighting Italian-American traditions, the Japanese-American experience, and the African immigrant experience, just to name a few.

Regular student admission: $3. Tickets from the Office of Student Activities: FREE. The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies is located at 1300 Locust St. and can be reached at 215-732-6200.

The Franklin Institute Science Museum and Tuttleman IMAX Theater: Noted as Pennsylvania’s most visited museum, the Franklin Institute has been open since 1934. In addition to permanent exhibits, the Franklin Institute features changing main exhibits, as well as various IMAX movies.

Regular student admission: $16.75. Tickets from the Office of Student Activities: $5.The Franklin Institute is located at 222 N. 20th St. and can be reached at (215) 448-1200.

This list is just a few of the places discounted tickets will take you, so check in the Office of Student Activities for more information. All ticket purchases require a valid student ID and keep in mind that tickets to particular shows sell out fast

For an updated list of tickets on sale, visit www.temple.edu/sac.

Michelle Nicoletto can be reached at mnic@temple.edu.