Non-majors get big break with arts club

Temple University Performing Arts Club has big plans and big goals for non-theater majors who love to act, sing and dance. The new student organization held its first meeting on Jan. 31 in the Student

Temple University Performing Arts Club has big plans and big goals for non-theater majors who love to act, sing and dance. The new student organization held its first meeting on Jan. 31 in the Student Center and attracted more than 100 students.

“TUPAC encompasses all aspects of performing arts; singing, dancing, musicians and directors alike,” said TUPAC President Chad Kline, a sophomore. “And it’s a catchy name.”

According to the executive board created in the fall of 2004. The club was started so non-theater majors could have the opportunity to display their talents and credentials. TUPAC has already accomplished a lot to begin their big plans for the spring. Their plans are not only to help out those students interested in performing arts at Temple, but to educate youth. The organization decided that it was a good way to enhance the university’s extracurricular performing arts organizations.

“I saw a similar club at Shippensburg University and thought it was interesting,” Kline said. “I decided I wanted a club for Temple because they did not have one.”

One of the goals of the club is to work with children in theater workshops. This club will give students the opportunity to showcase their talents by teaching children theatrical performance.

“Kids from different elementary schools come and learn acts from us and then perform them for their families and friends,” Kline said.

TUPAC’s executive board has planned fund raisers and contests for the next few months. The executive board consists of four positions, vice president, public relations and advertising head, secretary and historian. Vice President Danyelle Wolf, a psychology major, designates duties to the rest of the members on the executive board. She also assists Kline in all his duties and obligations. Carly King, also a psychology major, is the head of public relations. King is in charge of advertising and getting TUPAC’s information out to the public as well. Tiffany Galloway, a broadcast and telecommunications mass media major is the club’s secretary. Galloway’s duties include recording minutes for the club as well as sending out information to the members about upcoming events. Lisa Meinders, a journalism major, is the historian. Her duties include taking photographs and keeping record of TUPAC’s events.

The club needs more members to lead committees within the group. In addition, TUPAC is looking for students who have the capability to lead a committee so the club will jump off to a great start. For more informaion, contact Carly King at carly.king@temple.edu.

Stephanie Taylor can be reached at stephyt@temple.edu.