Quick trips: Baltimore

Colonial history meets maritime culture in Baltimore’s harbor. Feeling the urge to get out of Philadelphia? Baltimore has what seems like an endless amount of attractions for visitors of all ages – one weekend may

Colonial history meets maritime culture in Baltimore’s harbor.

Fort_McHenry
Courtesy Baltimore.org Fort McHenry sits on the Chesapeake Bay. The fort was the birthplace of the “Star Spangled Banner,” which was written during the War of 1812.

Feeling the urge to get out of Philadelphia? Baltimore has what seems like an endless amount of attractions for visitors of all ages – one weekend may not even be long enough.

Accessible by Megabus, Inner Harbor is the most-visited area in Baltimore. It accommodates the National Aquarium, Harborplace Mall, Maryland Science Center and many well-known restaurants and shops.

Kaitlin Lavinder, a Maryland native, said she enjoys walking around Inner Harbor with her family in the spring.

“The Inner Harbor is like a cute little town in the middle of a big city,” said Lavinder, a sophomore broadcast, telecommunications and mass media major.

Since baseball season is now on everyone’s minds, try getting tickets for an Orioles game at Camden Yards. Players and coaches typically sign autographs from the time the gates open until 45 minutes before each game starts.

If you can’t afford game tickets, visit Oriole Park from a new perspective – a tour. Visit the Orioles’ dugout, the press level, the scoreboard/Jumbotron control room and the exclusive suite level. The tour lasts approximately an hour, and the cost for adults is $9.

Celebrating more than 200 years of naval and maritime history, Historic Ships in Baltimore represent a collection of military vessels, all located within walking distance of each other. The USS Sloop-of-War Constellation, the USS Submarine Torsk, the USS Coast Guard Cutter Taney and the Lightship Chesapeake represent life at sea from the mid-19th century to the mid-1980s.

Different programs and events are always happening at the Historic Ships. In April, former crewman Patrick Aquia will share his experiences during his service aboard the Taney.

In May, education coordinator Meghan Kaylor will present a 19th- century woman’s point of view of social life and experiences during the Civil War. These events, as well as many others, are open to all visitors and are included in the regular admission cost, which usually ranges between $10 and $18, depending on how many ships you plan to visit.

“Little Italy,” a small neighborhood located a few blocks from Inner Harbor, is packed with 29 authentic restaurants specializing in cuisine from every region of Italy.

Da Mimmo is a restaurant in the heart of Little Italy that has been credited as one of the best restaurants in Baltimore for the last 25 years. When traveling through the city, many stars have stopped to dine at Da Mimmo, including Johnny Depp and Sylvester Stallone.

Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine is a 19th century star-shaped fort approximately 15 minutes away from Inner Harbor. It is best known as the birthplace of the National Anthem during the War of 1812.

The entrance fee to the historic area of the park is $7, and the self-guided tour usually requires two hours.

If you enjoy live music, go to a show at Rams Head Live, a concert venue that is ranked ninth in Pollstar’s Top 100 club venues in the world.

Sarah Sample, the director of marketing for Rams Head Live and Pier Six Pavilion, described Rams Head Live as a special venue that, “supports a lot of great local talent, [from] all spectrums of the music scene,” as well as many well-known performers.

In April, Rams Head Live will host performances by Sara Bareilles, the Dirty Heads, Seether, Several Species: The PINK FLOYD Experience and many more. Most of the shows are reasonably priced, ranging between $15 and $30 per performance.

Lauren Hertzler can be reached at lauren.hertzler@temple.edu.