Rachel’s Review: A monthly monitor of clubs on campus

There’s a new club here on campus, a club that is trying to create a social atmosphere where students can practice their Spanish conversation skills outside of the classroom. “The Spanish Club is something that

There’s a new club here on campus, a club that is trying to create a social atmosphere where students can practice their Spanish conversation skills outside of the classroom.

“The Spanish Club is something that should have been started a long time ago,” said President and Founder Beth Therien. “It is a good way for students to improve their Spanish in a social setting. Class time isn’t enough time to study and become fluent in a language.” Therien’s goal as a Spanish student is to be able to effectively communicate with people from various countries in their native language.

“The club should be very social, fun and informative,” Secretary Todd Jacobs said.

The club’s official goal, as stated in the constitution is “to provide a social environment that promotes Hispanic culture and practice the Spanish language through social events and community service.”

Faculty Advisor, Professor Soraya Alamdari, agreed with Therien. “The club is a great opportunity for students to take their Spanish outside of the classroom in an informal setting and practice speaking.”

The club meets Mondays at 4 p.m. in the fourth floor lounge of Anderson Hall. These are usually planning meetings conducted in Spanish and English. This provides a platform for practicing Spanish, while people who are not as functional in the language feel like they still understand what is going on.

Since the club is still very new, planning is a big part of it. Some upcoming activities include a Potluck “Fiesta,” Spanish movie nights, Latin dance lessons and guest speakers. “The Spanish Club is hoping not only to be on campus, but off campus by helping the community,” Therien said.

Senior Tifanie Harmon thinks that the ideas presented seem very promising. “A lot of people who are not Spanish majors seem very interested.” Harmon, who is a Spanish major, plans to go to Veterinary School after she graduates.

Alamdari also said the club is “a mix of all ethnicities, genders, everything … which is one of the most inviting aspects of the group.”

“You can go to any club and talk English,” Jacobs said, “but here you have the opportunity to use another language.”