Re: The Nov. 24 blood drive held in memory of Kevin Coffey

Dear Editor, We would like to offer our sincere thanks to the Temple community in supporting “Keep the Drive Alive,” the American Red Cross blood drive held Nov. 24 in memory of our son, Kevin

Dear Editor,

We would like to offer our sincere thanks to the Temple community in supporting “Keep the Drive Alive,” the American Red Cross blood drive held Nov. 24 in memory of our son, Kevin Coffey. Kevin was a sophomore honors student at Temple who lost his life in a Sept. 11 bus crash in New York. He will be forever loved and missed by his family and friends.
“Keep the Drive Alive” was intended to raise awareness of the importance of donating blood – a cause Kevin had supported since he first became eligible to donate – and the drive succeeded in its mission. On the day before Thanksgiving, 91 pints of blood were donated at the Student Center. This included 44 first-time donors; we are told that on average, two or three first-time blood donors would be present at a one-day blood drive.
Each pint of blood donated can help save the lives of up to three people; blood donated at the Temple drive will help up to 273 individuals. There also were 40 first-time donors at the Nov. 18-19 “Keep the Drive Alive” held in Kevin’s memory in his hometown of Manhattan, Kan. During this two-day drive, 285 pints of blood were donated.
To all who gave blood, please know what a huge impact this has made and how many lives can now be touched through your donation. The blood donated in Kevin’s honor can give someone another laugh, another hug, another holiday with their friends and family. We know that those who receive the blood, and their families and friends, would thank you for that.
Our thanks go to all who participated in any way and who made “Keep the Drive Alive” a success: the American Red Cross Penn-Jersey Region Blood Services, Kevin’s friends and loyal Red Cross supporters who volunteered at the drive, the Temple Honors Program, the Fox School of Business Honors students and leaders, the Business Honors Student Association and the College of Liberal Arts.
We also would like to express our heartfelt appreciation to those who honored Kevin’s memory by dedicating a beautiful burr oak tree on campus and leading a very moving celebration of his life on Nov. 23: friends, students and leaders in the Temple Honors Program, the College of Liberal Arts and Superintendent of Grounds Glenn Eck. Your exceptional warmth will be with us always.
What an honor and privilege it was to be in the presence of so many caring and courageous members of the Temple community.

Sincerely,

Ray and Maxine Coffey
Manhattan, Kan.