‘Real World’ gets Randy

Fresh from the induction into the Real World Hall of Fame comes Randy Barry – right to Temple’s front door. The San Diego-edition cast member has been travelling across the country, speaking to promote abroad

Fresh from the induction into the Real World Hall of Fame comes Randy Barry – right to Temple’s front door. The San Diego-edition cast member has been travelling across the country, speaking to promote abroad adventures with STA Travel. The Temple News caught up with Barry before his presentation.

TTN: Oh my God, it’s Randy! The Real World is a huge platform. Of all products, why associate yourself with STA?
Randy: I believe in the company, you know? I used them before I went on the show [Randy’s traveled extensively across Europe and South America pre-RW] and they know what they’re doing. The rail pass is honestly one of the best ways to travel, and they saved my ass, letting me change my flight details last minute for only, like, $20. Plus, they’ve been there – everywhere.

TTN: American youth is spoiled. We’re attached to our amenities and cell phones and such. How bad is it ‘doing without’?
Randy: When I first got to Europe it was a huge culture shock. There’s so much to get used to, but then it’s like, “Deal with it, there’s not going to be a convenient store {laughs}.” It’s just different. Like in Italy if you don’t eat by 6 p.m. you’re on your own. Only the bars stay open. You’ve got to focus on your attachments and ask yourself what you really need.

TTN: We’d be stupid not to ask: How different was your experience from the edited show we see on MTV, here and now?
Randy: You know, you can either focus on what’s there or what’s not there. I try to see what’s there and take from it what I can. It was an amazing experience. It was four months of craziness, you know, thrown in with these people. I had to get back to some stuff, some spiritual stuff, I’d neglected before and just lived my life.

TTN: STA sent you and the entire cast of the Real World to Greece for 10 days. What was that like, sparing no details of hot tubs and arrests?
Randy: One of the peak points of the show was Greece. The highlight of the trip was that we got to sail for fun. It really made us appreciate the job [the San Diego cast works as sailboat tour guides]. We got to snorkel in these pirate caves and it was just beautiful. It made all the drama worth it.
Yeah, it will be. Catch Randy every Tuesday at 10 p.m. on MTV.

Matt Donnelly can be reached at mattdonn@temple.edu