Resume the key to an internship

Spring is here, and for many, the search for a summer job or internship has commenced. What should you write on your resume and say during an interview to land that coveted job? Enter the

Spring is here, and for many, the search for a summer job or internship has commenced. What should you write on your resume and say during an interview to land that coveted job?

Enter the Career Development Services, a Temple service center where students can receive free resume consultation and career advice.

“We provide that transition from education to workplace,” said Tracy Fleming, a career coordinator. “We help students to utilize what they’ve learned at Temple to get a job.”

Located on the second floor of Mitten Hall, Career Development Services is an invaluable resource that’s not just for upperclassmen. Freshman and sophomores are encouraged to come because career development is an ongoing process that needs to be refined and evaluated continuously.

In addition to resume consultation, Career Development Services offers career counseling and advising, videotaped mock interviews, career fair and job market information and career-related workshops.

Career Development Services workshops are held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Led by career coordinators like Fleming, there are workshops about every step of the self-marketing process. Workshops offered during March include “Making Career Choices,” “Resume Writing,” “Interview Skills Techniques” and “Networking: The Hidden Job Market.”

For those beginning the search for a summer job or internship, one question remains. What tools and qualities are needed to land that coveted summer position?

“It’s all about marketing yourself on your resume and highlighting your skills,” Fleming explained. “There are those transferable skills, like teamwork and communication skills, that you learn in other part-time jobs, in the classroom and [in] life in general that may help you towards your career aspirations.”

“The key to a successful resume is really determining what skills your intended employer is looking for and highlighting those skills in yourself through your resume,” she added.

There are other career resources that students are encouraged to look into. The Part Time/Summer Job Fair is being held April 7 in the Great Court of Mitten Hall and the Spring 2004 Career Fair arrives at the Liacouras Center on March 31. There’s also MonsterTRAK, located on the Career Development Services Web site, where employers post job listings just for students. Another valuable online resource is the official Web site of the National Association of Colleges and Employers, www.naceweb.org, where students can find the “Top 10 Personal Characteristics Employers See in Job Candidates.”

The Career Development Services office is located on the second floor of Mitten Hall on North Broad Street. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

For more information about calendar events or to join the Career Development Services Listserv, visit the Career Development Services’ Temple Web site at www.temple.edu/careerdev.

Marta RusekJosephine Munis can be reached at mrusek@temple.edu