Robinson’s death ruled a suicide

The Philadelphia medical examiner’s office ruled former Temple football player Adrian Robinson’s death a suicide by hanging.

The death of former Temple football player Adrian Robinson has been ruled a suicide by hanging at the age of 25.

A Philadelphia medical examiner’s office spokesperson told The Temple News that the verdict had been released that the first-team All-Mid American Conference honoree had taken his own life in Philadelphia last Saturday night.

Robinson, who appeared in all 50 games during his college career, was a 2009 and 2011 first-team All-MAC honoree and totaled 156 career tackles, 221/2 career sacks and 331/5 tackles for loss.

“The Temple football program lost a friend, a brother, and a wonderful young man today,” coach Matt Rhule said in a university released statement on Sunday. “Adrian Robinson was one of the greatest competitors I ever had the pleasure of coaching and I know he was an even better teammate. I first met Adrian as an 18 year old high school senior. I was so proud to see him back at Temple this spring finishing his degree and being a loving father to his new daughter.  He will always be a part of me and will always be a part of this program. Our hearts and thoughts go out to the Robinson family – his parents Terry and Adrian Sr., brother Averee and sister Aija, and his daughter Avery Marie.”

During his final year as an Owl in 2011, Robinson accumulated 52 total tackles and a team-high 131/5 tackles for loss as the Owls went 9-4, including a 37-15 win over the University of Wyoming in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl.

As a sophomore in 2009, Robinson was named MAC defensive player of the year after recording 46 total tackles, 14 tackles for loss and 12 sacks.

Robinson, who was not selected during the 2013 NFL Draft, played in the NFL for two years, with stints with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles, San Diego Chargers, Denver Broncos and the Washington Redskins.

Robinson, who signed with a contract with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on the Canadian Football League on April 27, 2015, was a graduate of Harrisburg High School and was one of five Owls to appear in the 2008 Big 33 game, an all-star football game that featured the top high-school football players from Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Robinson’s brother, Averee, is a junior defensive lineman with 20 career tackles and 2.5 sacks.

Michael Guise can be reached at michael.guise@temple.edu or on Twitter @Michael_Guise