ROTC is preparation for life

The Reserve Officer Training Corps at Temple is a valuable asset to the university. Hidden in the lower level of Ritter Hall, the ROTC is a college course that teaches the future leaders of the

The Reserve Officer Training Corps at Temple is a valuable asset to the university.

Hidden in the lower level of Ritter Hall, the ROTC is a college course that teaches the future leaders of the U.S. Army, Reserve, and Guard the mental and physical requirements necessary to be successful in serving this country.

It originated from the United States Military Academy at West Point and spread to all 50 states at numerous universities.

ROTC is a four-year college program that is divided into a basic course and an advanced course. All of the ROTC’s programs are on a voluntary basis and only when a participant has fully completed the requirements of the course are they bound to serve in the Army, the Reserve, or the National Guard. Interested participants begin the program first as a cadet and once they pass the required summer advance camp they become a senior cadet. As a senior cadet, they begin to lead the battalion and they are commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

ROTC also offers money to students who participate in the course that can cover up to eighty thousand dollars worth of college tuition and fees at some schools.

Additional benefits include a designated book allowance and a monthly stipend for up to ten months for each year the scholarship is in effect. The only time that one is contractually obligated to the program is upon graduation and commissioning as a second lieutenant.

Then, it is either full-time service in the active Army or part time service in the Guard or the Reserve.

Anyone interested in finding out more information about what the ROTC has to offer can contact Captain Patrick Chang, professor of Military Science at Temple University.

Christine Olley can be reached at molley@temple.edu.