Serving up classics

Ever get tired of ordering the same thing at the same restaurant every time you go out to eat? Maybe it’s time to try something new. There is a colorful little place called Hamburger Mary’s

Ever get tired of ordering the same thing at the same restaurant every time you go out to eat? Maybe it’s time to try something new. There is a colorful little place called Hamburger Mary’s right across from Coconuts Music and Movies at 1716 Chestnut St. Before you even set foot inside the door you’ll notice that this is not an ordinary hamburger joint. Hamburger Mary’s serves beef with style.

From the rainbow of colors on the spotless linoleum floor, to the strategically placed flat panel TVs showing popular music videos, the establishment simply oozes with panache. Vintage movie and music posters haphazardly adorn the vibrant walls all the way up to the multicolored 1950s-style futuristic lamps hanging from the ceiling. The friendly staff sports black T-shirts bearing the Hamburger Mary name in white lettering.

The menu is equally colorful, featuring the fishnet-clad cartoon logo of Mary herself on the front cover and a few times on the inside. The food selections are just as creative, featuring such exciting appetizers as Mary’s Hot Legs and Love Me Tenders, and equally engaging entrees like Buffy the Hamburger Slayer and the Sloppy Mary.

The menu has a wide range of appetizers, soups, salads, hot and cold sandwiches, delectable desserts and, of course, plenty of hamburgers. For all you ‘carb counters out there, never fear: Mary’s offers some low-carb selections and any hamburger can be wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun. I am not what you might call a carb-conscious person, so I opted for the giant plate of nachos for an appetizer. The nachos were loaded with sour cream, black olives, peppers, chili and tomatoes . For my main entrĂ©e I tried Mary’s version of my personal favorite, the Barbeque Bacon Cheeseburger, cooked medium well. The huge sandwich was complete with Mary’s special sauce and a knife. Hamburger Mary’s menu certainly features some well-done classics, a few very unique recipes for those feeling adventurous and many new spins on old classics.

Although some might find the selections a bit pricey (the hamburgers range from $6.95 to $9.95), it is well worth it to shell out a couple extra bucks for great atmosphere, excellent service and superb food in large portions. Besides, who could be daunted by a bill presented in a Frederick’s of Hollywood stiletto heel?

Drew Cocco can be reached at andrew.cocco@temple.edu.