Sex Fest 2010 kicks off with free condoms, sex discussions and more

What’s with the big bed on campus? Sex Fest is taking over Main Campus this week. From April 5 through April 8, Temple Student Government will be playing host to a series of sex-related events,

What’s with the big bed on campus? Sex Fest is taking over Main Campus this week. From April 5 through April 8, Temple Student Government will be playing host to a series of sex-related events, both day and night, from free condoms at the Bell Tower to Sex Toy 101 in the Student Center.

University Affairs Senate Chair Eva Alkasov, a junior political science and sociology major, is spearheading the event.

“We’re basically going to be addressing and trying to promote sexual awareness understanding and pleasure,” she said. “The whole week supposed to be a way for students to start to think about sex more deeply than they might already do so, especially about the risks and also the reasons behind their sexual activity.”

To Alkasov, college kids all have a general idea of why there is a need for safe sex, yet many neglect to practice it.

“They see the statistics; they know they should protect themselves, but I don’t think they actually do it,” she said. “It’s becoming such a part of our culture to be open to sex and to do things like that, that people aren’t even really thinking about it anymore – especially when you come to college and you start going to parties and it just kind of get thrown into this new lifestyle and you start taking risky actions and you’re not really thinking about what you’re doing.”

She came up with the idea last summer while brainstorming for possible programs to do the upcoming school year, and after noticing trends at parties, came up with a fun and educational way to address sex.

“It started out as just one little night program, and somehow turned into a Sexual Awareness Festival. It really started very small, and grew,” Alkasov said.

“We’re mostly going to be promoting the evening programs because they’re more educational,” Alkasov said. “There’s going to be a big bed that people can sign there, and we have pamphlets as well so people can get some information.”

Juicy Justine is the professional sex educator TSG will have on hand for some of the evening programs.

Here’s the breakdown of the week:

Tuesday, April 6
“Philly Aids Thrift are coming to sell some of their merchandise and that money will be going to local organizations that fight against HIV and AIDS,” said Alkasov.

They will be at the Bell Tower from noon to 3 p.m.

The evening program will be a discussion, “Let’s Talk About Sex,” and occurs from 6 to 8 p.m. in Student Center 217A.

Wednesday, April 7
Temple Student Government will continue to distribute free condoms at the Bell Tower in the afternoon. “Sex Toy 101” will follow in the Student Center from 6 to 8 p.m.

“Sex Toy 101 will be a fun way to learn about the other options available,” Alkasov said.

Thursday, April 8
Students are invited to paint a mural at the Bell Tower about sex.

“We’re going to have a big canvas and paint we’re going to be asking students to paint how they feel about sexuality,” Alkasov said. “It’s not going to be like, ‘Come here and draw a penis.’ We’re going to make sure people aren’t doing that. It’s more of a chance to show your artistic side, maybe a time when sexuality was problematic, scary, confusing, whatever it is, and get a kind of a little mural going on.”

At night, there will be a panel discussion in the Student Center about LGBTQ on campus led by Purple Circle.
Michelle Provencher can be reached at michelle.provencher@temple.edu.