Sex sells in today’s USA

We have seen more sexed-up celebrity girl action in the past several months than we have in the last several years. If you watch TV stations or listen to the radio you can probably list

We have seen more sexed-up celebrity girl action in the past several months than we have in the last several years. If you watch TV stations or listen to the radio you can probably list several celebrities who have temporarily saved their asses by sexing it up a bit, after almost being hurled down the hole for has-beens.

As Americans finally realized that Britney Spears couldn’t sing, she and Madonna (is she still Swept Away on a deserted island somewhere?) made out on the MTV Video Music Awards. While Paris Hilton was a party girl known to few, the sound of her name quickly caught people’s attention after an illicit sex tape was launched on the Internet.

Last, and I am sure definitely not least, Janet, “Miss Jackson if you’re nasty” either ripped off her costume or had it ripped off during the halftime show of Super Bowl XXXVIII, depending on who you ask, to expose her clad nipple.

In a world where sex escapes the bedroom more often than not why are we so surprised by a breast during halftime? In America, we see sex everywhere. Face it: Sex sells. Are we going to be like children playing with a jack-in-the-box, surprised every time that darn clown jumps out at us?

Watching the “live” Janet show at a party amongst mixed ages, a couple of the guys joked about how it was wrong timing for poor Peter’s bathroom break, but after the game returned, no one said much regarding the peep show.

Now, days have gone by and still the media can’t stop yapping about Janet. Her name has been Googled more times than Paris’ had after her “incident.”

Obviously, it was meant to be more an “incident” than an “accident” and she was only trying to display some meat like the other girls in her female pop-star category. Janet has been out of the game for a while and she probably thought ‘hey, if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.’ After all, Will Smith was all about keeping his rap game squeaky clean and look how far that launched his music career.

I also cannot believe that a Tennessee woman is actually suing “on behalf of all Americans” who watched the Super Bowl and were somehow injured by Jackson’s nipple! Maybe, if she wasn’t sitting so close to the television, I guess it wouldn’t have poked her in the eye.

Are we throwing a parade for something as menial as something you might see in pages of National Geographic?

How about we get over it, wait for another star to show some skin or some other sex-capade, and we can act like we can’t believe that it happened. It will start all over again.

Rachel Summers can be reached at Fashionfoxnyc@hotmail.com.