SHOULD GAY COUPLES BE ALLOWED TO ADOPT? CON

No. Placing religious beliefs aside, these reasons are purely in the context of the needs of the child. Being a parent can be exciting for any family that is ready. Planning for that child is

No. Placing religious beliefs aside, these reasons are purely in the context of the needs of the child.

Being a parent can be exciting for any family that is ready. Planning for that child is one of the primary obligations of parents; that is, parents make important choices for their child to ensure that its life in the future is promising when he or she is able to make his or her own decisions.

The nurturing of both mother and father is crucial in child development. To deprive a child of this is wrong and inconsiderate. A child is a puzzle that requires a tremendous amount of attention, patience and love. A young child is sensitive to many influences within the home and outside it. Let’s be honest, our world is not perfect. It is not very tolerant to very liberal ways of life either.

It may be unfortunate that our society is narrow-minded or not apt to accept change, but should society change? Society should change for the better, like breaking down the barrier of racism, but not change for demoralizing the sanctity of parenthood and stripping the rights of children.

Peer pressure from other children, open-minded or not, is a fact of life as a child goes through grade school. Besides, most children do not have the ability to understand controversial issues (as college students can).

The last thing a developing child needs is to be confused (not particularly by his/her parent, but by society itself). Take this thought into consideration: a child entering school with gay parents for a parent-teacher conference.

The process of creating a child takes the effort of both the mother and father, supporting the importance of having both a woman and man to be part of child’s nurture. When a child is born, he/she not only has the right to be loved, cared, and supported, but also to have both parents of opposite sexes.

For a girl, a mother teaches important life lessons, but her father validates her sexuality. The opposite can be said for a boy.

Think about these examples: Would a teenage boy who has questions about his sexual maturity want to talk to two women? Or, how would a teenage girl experiencing her very first period explain her situation to two men who’ve never had a period?

The point here is that a girl needs a mother when she experiences womanly issues, and that a boy needs a father to guide him through the many challenges of manhood. A lot of what children learn is from perception.

They will question things that may not seem “right” or “normal.” It is wrong to change a child’s set of thoughts that reflect the normalcy of this society.

Therefore, I believe the needs of a child are the most important issue in all adoptions. Raising a child is a huge responsibility. Failure is a liability that damages the child emotionally and physically. I feel that the motives of gay couples wanting to adopt a child are selfish and not in the child’s best interest. So, allowing gay couples to adopt a child would set this society heading towards moral dilemma.