Snow means more than inconvenience

Strategies for beating cabin fever can be found both in and out of Philadelphia. After being pummeled with winter storms including ice, rain and thundersnow, many are dreaming of sandy beaches and warm weather while

Strategies for beating cabin fever can be found both in and out of Philadelphia.

After being pummeled with winter storms including ice, rain and thundersnow, many are dreaming of sandy beaches and warm weather while planning the ultimate spring break vacation. But for others, the cold has brought nothing but an opportunity for fun.

The snowboarding club plans events and trips each year for students to enjoy.

“We usually go on three major trips each year, and you don’t have to be a member to come on the trips,” said Maria Richards, a junior communications major and public relations coordinator for the snowboarding club.

Members traveled to Killington, Vt. in December, but their biggest trip took place over winter break.

“This year we took 105 members to Mount Tremblant, Canada, for a week,” Richards said.

Philadelphia provides the perfect urban setting for snowboarding with numerous rails and ledges at every corner.

Recently, members of the snowboarding club took advantage of the weather and used the Philadelphia Art Museum steps for some major shredding.

The club also has other events in the works, including its annual Belltower Rail Jam and another trip to Vermont.

“Our next and last trip of the year will be to Stowe, Vt., during the first week of March,” Richards said.

The club has numerous sponsors including Forum, the Draught Horse and Skull Candy. Membership to the club is $30, which includes access to events, discounted trips and passes to the Pocono resort Big Boulder.

The Whitetail Resort in Mercersburg, Pa., offers great snow tubing rates, ranging from $17 to $25. The resort features group rates that save money on meals, skiing and snowboarding lessons, lift tickets and rentals.

Groups must include 15 or more people, but it’s worth the price to gather friends for a weekend getaway. The Liberty Mountain Resort in Carroll Valley, Pa., also offers great rate and group packages.

Another option, Camelback Mountain Resort in Tannersville, Pa., offers season passes for college students.

While the pass is somewhat pricey ($329 for the super pass, $279 for the value pass) perks include free snow tubing, free equipment check, discounted rentals and meals, a free Snow East magazine subscription, discounted private lessons and immediate access to the lift. All that’s required is a college ID and proof of enrollment.

Sydney Scott can be reached at sydney.scott@temple.edu.