Sociology undergrads host Martin Luther King, Jr. film compilation

The Sociology Undergraduate Majors and Minors Association celebrated Black History Month Feb. 14 with a video compilation of speeches made by Martin Luther King Jr. The collection of clips from throughout King’s life was presented

The Sociology Undergraduate Majors and Minors Association celebrated Black History Month Feb. 14 with a video compilation of speeches made by Martin Luther King Jr.
The collection of clips from throughout King’s life was presented at a computer lab in Gladfelter Hall. Those attending were given a short introduction to King and the era in which he gained popularity. The 30-minute montage consisted of audio from some of his earlier speeches and services along with his “I Have a Dream” speech in its entirety. The film was followed by a brief opportunity for viewers to share their reactions.
The video began with rap artist Nas’s song “Hip Hop is Dead” played behind images of King in jail, protesting in the streets and preaching his sermons. These images led into footage recorded during his life and the video ended with clips from his final speech where his voice demanded attention from the students working on computers in the lab.
When the film ended, students quickly reflected on King and his legacy then went back to work.
Kendrah Butler, a senior sociology and political science major and member of SUMMA, said she feels that Black History Month goes largely unnoticed in society day.
“What we’re doing here contributes to awareness,” she said. “It shows that Black History Month exists and displays black figures contributions.”
King championed civil rights in America during the 1960s and earned the Presidential Medal of Freedom and a Congressional Gold Medal, in addition to his own holiday. He was assassinated on April 4, 1968.
Butler described King as an “amazing individual who worked to provide justice to all, even beyond the African American society.”
Butler said the issues on oppression that King’s famous speech addressed in August 1963 have not been entirely solved, but “since the ‘60s, we have come a long way.”
More than 40 years after that speech, the same country that pushed segregation is witnessing an African American running for president. Butler said King’s comments have a special meaning this year because of Barack Obama’s presidential campaign.
“It is a good demonstration of progression,” Butler said.
SUMMA will be showing the film, Historic Outline of the Life of W.E.B. DuBois on Feb. 28. at 4:30 p.m. The organization also raised over $300 at the Conflict Education Resource Team awareness gathering at the Bell Tower last semester. They also held a fundraiser for the AIDS Walk last semester.
Greg Adomaitis can be reached at greg.adomaitis@temple.edu.