South Philly SausageFest donates to community street cleaning program

The fourth annual South Philly SausageFest, which took place on Saturday along West Passyunk Avenue near Broad Street, featured puppies, beer and smoked sausages. The Newbold Community Development Corporation, a nonprofit, organized the event. Proceeds

The fourth annual South Philly SausageFest, which took place on Saturday along West Passyunk Avenue near Broad Street, featured puppies, beer and smoked sausages. The Newbold Community Development Corporation, a nonprofit, organized the event.

Proceeds went to the Newbold CDC’s Street Cleaning Program, which cleans the commercial corridor on Snyder Avenue and West Passyunk Avenue from Broad Street to 18th Street.

Live music, local, seasonal craft beer, craft vendors and an array of restaurants serving sausage dishes attracted Philadelphians from across the city.

“Beer and sausage, what’s better than that?” asked Emily Orton, who lives in Point Breeze. Orton and her partner, John Bonner, were celebrating their anniversary at the event.

Attendees could also adopt dogs from the Brandywine Valley Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which caught the attention of many, like Fishtown resident Peter Fulton and his friend and West Philly resident Mary Stiger.

“We’re a huge fan of dogs,” Fulton said. “Dogs and beer, a great combination.”