Sports Rewind

Men’s Gymnastics Sophomore Luke Vexler won two events – all-around and floor exercise – at last weekend’s West Point Open. Vexler also placed third on horizontal bar and pommel horse, and fifth on parallel bars.

Men’s Gymnastics

Sophomore Luke Vexler won two events – all-around and floor exercise – at last weekend’s West Point Open.

Vexler also placed third on horizontal bar and pommel horse, and fifth on parallel bars. Sophomore Andy Corp placed fourth on parallel bars and junior Clay Edwards placed fifth in floor exercise. Freshman John Vogtman, the fourth Owl to compete in Saturday evening’s final, finished seventh on parallel bars and eighth on rings.

Temple finished third out of the 10 squads that competed in the meet, with Penn State winning the overall team title, and host school West Point finishing second.

Fencing

Facing a tough field that included two of the nation’s top three ranked teams, the fencing team finished the Penn State Invitational with a 2-3 record.

Though they lost to Penn State, Columbia and St. John’s, teams that were ranked second, third and sixth, respectively, Temple beat No. 14 Duke and Haverford.

The Sabre squad went 3-2 in the tournament, including a victory over St. John’s Sabre squad. Sophomore Kristine Jones led the squad with an 8-7 record. Sophomore Samantha Myles led the Foil squad with a 7-5 record and sophomore Brianna Ferrara led the Epee squad with a 7-6 record.

Coming into this weekend’s Temple Invitational, the Owls’ record is 8-5.

Lacrosse

The lacrosse team will open its season in the national rankings, according to a preseason poll conducted by Inside Lacrosse Magazine. The Owls, ranked 20th this season, were ranked as high as No. 16 last season. They will begin their season at North Carolina on Feb. 26.