Sports Rewind

It’s over. The Delaware Blue Hens snapped Temple’s seven-game winning streak, routing the Owls, 9-2, and handing them their first loss since March 24. Behind a strong performance by starting pitcher Jarame Beaupre (3-1), the

It’s over. The Delaware Blue Hens snapped Temple’s seven-game winning streak, routing the Owls, 9-2, and handing them their first loss since March 24. Behind a strong performance by starting pitcher Jarame Beaupre (3-1), the Blue Hens (14-14) ironically took an early 6-0 lead over Temple after losing their previous 10 games.

Temple, hitless after four innings, posted their first hit and scored its only two runs in the fifth. Pete Colon began the drive with a double to left center and reached third base after a ground out. Freddy Hilliard got aboard after being hit by a pitch and proceeded to steal second, scoring Colon. A Justin Cooper RBI single then drove Hilliard home. Mustering a dismal three hits during the game, the Owls posted a season-low hit total.

Temple, (13-8, 3-0) is still atop the A-10 East Division. The Owls, along with Richmond, are the only two teams still undefeated in conference play. Notorious for beginning the season slow, the Owls are off to their best start in the last five years.

Temple will finish its six-game road trip at Duquesne this weekend, and will follow that with games against Rider (Tues.) and Delaware (Wed.) at Temple’s Ambler campus.

Women’s Track and Field

Temple put on an overwhelming performance this weekend at the Pennsylvania Invitational. While no Owls garnered first place finishes, they dominated the 400-meter hurdles with sophomore Aisha Raheem finishing second and junior Jessica Dunston right behind her in third. Dunston also had a team-best third place finish in the 100-meter hurdles.

The Owls have two meets remaining, the Delaware Invitational and a meet against Morgan State, before venturing across town to the Penn Relays.

Men’s Track and Field

Despite rain and brisk temperatures, junior Jon Albright fought through the difficult conditions to land a first place finish on the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.69 seconds at the Pennsylvania Invitational on Sunday. He also had a second place finish in the 400-meter hurdles clocked at 55.01.

Like the women, the men’s squad will travel across the city to participate in the Penn Relays from April 23-26.