Spring Fling aims to bring West Coast to Main Campus

This year’s annual event will feature a summertime “Beverly Hills 90210” theme.

Summer is just around the corner, and students can expect to find a little piece of it from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on tomorrow, April 17, along Liacouras Walk and around the Bell Tower during this year’s annual Spring Fling.

This year the theme is TU 19122, intentionally channeling “Beverly Hills 90210.”

“You’ll notice it’s a Hollywood beach-esque theme, and our prizes will reflect that,” said Amy Bendekovits, vice president of Main Campus Program Board, which heads Spring Fling. MCPB will have its own table set up with games, prizes and T-shirt giveaways.

With the end of the semester near, students are anxious for summer, part of why the event is beach themed and – no coincidence – why it was also the theme for last year. The TU 19122 hopes to give the event a little more of a spin.

To ensure safety precautions, many of the student organizations have to run their ideas by the office of risk management, Bendekovits said. This served especially true for MCPB, which is providing the inflatable attractions.

“We’re providing a lot of fun things, a lot of nice surprises. I think everyone will be pretty happy. Banking on the weather being nice,” Bendekovits said.

If the weather turns sour, Temple will reschedule its Spring Fling to April 18, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Notoriously, students often use Spring Fling as an excuse to drink with their friends.

“I don’t think that’s always the appropriate setting, but for those that do choose to day drink, I just hope they do so in a safe manner and that nobody gets hurt,” Bendekovits said.

Bendekovits added she recognizes that students skip class and sympathizes. With food, fun, music, games and friends, she says she can see why students would choose to miss some of their classes.

Many student organizations have a table set up as Spring Fling and WHIP, Temple’s student-run radio station, will be providing a lot of the music and entertainment this year.

The tables cost, on average, $50 per student organization, with costs fluctuating depending on whether clubs need electricity or other amenities. Most are paid with membership dues or fundraisers.

“Honestly, a lot of student organizations use this as a fundraising tool for them because they will sell some kind of food, or have some kind of giveaway, so for them it’s big promotionally and for recruiting members,” Bendekovits said.

Among the many tables, students will find Students for Environmental Action.

SEA will be selling T-shirts and have informational displays about environmental issues, as well as have environment-related games.

“We hope to promote environmental issues in general just to spread awareness,” said Donnie Irvandy, president of SEA.

Irvandy said he’d rather have the event on a different day of the week, like a Thursday. He is a junior now, but during his freshman year, Spring Fling was postponed to a Thursday because of the weather, which he said he enjoyed much more.

The Public Relations Society of America is planning on having a sports-themed table and is in the works to have signed Philadelphia sports memorabilia as well as Phillies tickets raffled away.

[blockquote who=”Cara Graeff” what=”PRSA director of internal affairs”] Everyone saves their allotted [absences] for Spring Fling, so I think regardless of what day it’s on, kids are going to skip their classes [/blockquote]

Cara Graeff, PRSA director of internal affairs, said the goal of the organization’s table is to pique interest and increase the club’s visibility on campus. Membership isn’t necessarily the group’s main concern, because PRSA is a student organization for which one must hand in dues in the beginning of the year to be a part of.

Graeff said she too recognizes Spring Fling as a huge social event on campus that students skip their classes for, but doesn’t think moving the day would make a difference.

“Everyone saves their allotted [absences] for Spring Fling, so I think regardless of what day it’s on, kids are going to skip their classes,” Graeff said.

Insomnia Theater will also have a booth set up at Spring Fling.

The group plans on having film and theater trivia and giving away prizes like condoms, candy and coffee – specifically, Starbucks gift cards.

Spring Fling is perfect timing for the student organization, considering its show happens the weekend after Spring Fling.

“We hope not only to promote people coming to our show, but joining in our show; being actors, writers, directors, stuff like that,” said Billy McGee, marketing director of Insomnia Theater.

About 200 tables will be present.

Patrica Madej can be reached at patricia.madej@temple.edu.