Staley names top assistant

Shawn Campbell came to Philadelphia to attempt and recruit Dawn Staley in 1990, now he comes back as her associate head coach. Staley announced on Monday that Campbell, the assistant coach of the University of

Shawn Campbell came to Philadelphia to attempt and recruit Dawn Staley in 1990, now he comes back as her associate head coach.

Staley announced on Monday that Campbell, the assistant coach of the University of Virginia, will be the associate head coach of the Temple women’s basketball team.

Campbell has been an assistant coach at Virginia for the past 15 seasons. The team, under head coach Debbie Ryan, has made it to 15 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.

Virginia is also the alma mater of Staley, Temple’s new head coach. Staley played there along with three other Kodak All-Americans under the assistant coaching of Campbell.

Campbell is widely considered as one of the best assistant coaches in all of women’s college basketball. He is the first coach to be named to Staley’s staff.

“I am very pleased that Coach Campbell is joining our coaching staff,” Staley said in a statement. “With his coaching, administrative and recruiting experience, I am confident that we are assembling a coaching staff that will enable us to build a first class program here at Temple.”

Rather than an assistant, Campbell is an associate head coach. Staley is currently busy with her professional career and will be through September. She is currently at training camp for the Charlotte Sting in the WNBA. After the WNBA season she will be on the U.S. National Team competing at the Olympics in Sydney, Australia.

Because of the demands of her playing career she needs a coach to help with recruiting and conditioning during the off-season. Campbell was partly responsible for luring Staley from Dobbins Tech high school in Philadelphia to Virginia.

This past season, Campbell helped lead Virginia to the Sweet 16. The Cavaliers fell there to Tennessee, who went on to lose in the championship game to Connecticut.

Tonya Cardoza, an assistant at Connecticut, had been rumored to be on Staley’s list of choices for associate head coach. Cardoza also played at Virginia where she was ah honorable mention for All-American with Staley.

Campbell, though, was responsible for recruiting Cardoza to play at Virginia. His knowledge and experience will be a big help for first-time coach Staley.

Campbell is a 1982 graduate of Trenton State College, which is now the College of New Jersey. He started as an assistant with Virginia in 1985.

“It will be a lot of fun,” Campbell told the Inquirer’s Mel Greenberg from Charlottesville, Va. “It’s going to be a challenge, but the big city is a good place to start building another program.”

Campbell has worked with both post players and guards. This will be a big help to Temple’s Lisa Jackubowicz, especially in improving her inside game. With the addition of Campbell she has a chance to learn from someone with 15 years of women’s basketball experience and continue to improve.

In addition, all of the guards on the team will have the opportunity to learn from one of the best female point guards in the world, Staley.

The combination of world-class coaches and facilities could drive the team to the top of the Atlantic 10 East division.

Staley and Campbell will still probably need to hire at least two more assistant coaches to fill the void left by Staley’s absence through September.

2 Comments

1. Hm, this sounds pretty cool; I’d love to see it in motion.
    I do, however, have one problem with the way it’s been written about in this article: This piece of art, as video game-related as it may be, is not actually a video game and should not be labeled as such.
    All video games are inherently interactive in some fashion and removing the interaction from a video game renders it as nothing more than a video. The subject matter has no bearing on the medium.

2. Hm, this sounds pretty cool; I’d love to see it in motion.
    In my opinion, some video games have already approached artistic value, and it’s only a matter of time until some substantial breakthroughs occur.