Stressing the importance of youth voting

Glenda Davis was disheartened to learn that Philadelphia voter turnout for the Nov. 3, 2009 Election Day was approximately 12 percent. The 59-year-old North Philadelphia resident said voting and election participation is important, especially for

Glenda Davis was disheartened to learn that Philadelphia voter turnout for the Nov. 3, 2009 Election Day was approximately 12 percent.

The 59-year-old North Philadelphia resident said voting and election participation is important, especially for the upcoming midterm elections.

“These [congressional and gubernatorial] candidates are going to handle policies that will affect businesses, the economy, youth and the homeless,” Davis said. “You have to vote.”

But Davis said she understands why some people do not vote.

“There’s so much crooked stuff that goes on,” she said. “It was unfair when that ballot mess happened and Bush won [in 2000].”

She also said she feels nonpresidential election cycles and campaigns have not been distributing as much literature as they used to. She added that the poll machines are sometimes confusing for older voters.

Despite all this, she said it is important for all voters, young and old and of all backgrounds, to vote Nov. 2, adding that her advice applied to younger voters especially.

“The younger generation knows what’s going on,” she said. “They are our future.”

“Even with all of the bad stuff that happens, there’s no reason not to vote,” Davis added. “You have to pay attention to who’s running and what they stand for.”

Josh Fernandez can be reached at josh@temple.edu.