Student Activities offers nooners

What better way to spend your time on Wednesday afternoons than slurping down water ice as fast as you can and feeling that sensational brain freeze? The water ice eating contest is just one of

What better way to spend your time on Wednesday afternoons than slurping down water ice as fast as you can and feeling that sensational brain freeze?

The water ice eating contest is just one of the many exciting activities that are part of Noontime Diversions.

Sure, there’s always class to go to, but there are those fortunate few who don’t have class between noon and 1 p.m. on Wednesdays.

They are the people that have the luxury of attending these free diversions that the Office of Student Activities sponsors.

Last year, the program was run on Thursdays, but it has been changed to Wednesdays because it seemed to fit students’ schedules, according to Joan Elsasser, Program Coordinator for the Office of Student Activities.

Depending upon the weather, Noontime Diversions are held inside the Atrium of the Student Center or outside on the sidewalk by 13th Street and Montgomery Avenue.

Any student passing by is welcome to join in the games.

This semester, there is already a full slate of events lined-up for students to participate in.

Temple students can expect to see events ranging from Velcro Drag Races to a Pumpkin Carving Contest to a Superhero Day.

Any one of these diversions is bound to spark one’s interest; the more students participate, the more students will want to join in.

Noontime Diversions are scheduled for every Wednesday except before Thanksgiving.

Temple’s heterogeneous student body craves diversity in its activities. The Office of Student Activities tries to provide programming that can reach them all.

Many students have never heard of these Noontime Diversions, even some involved in Student Affairs.

Danielle Kaiser, a senior and e-marketing major, feels they are not promoted enough and that this is probably why students have never heard of the games.

Many students don’t understand how the games work or how to get involved with them.

They wonder if it will cost them any money or if they have to pre-register for the game.

Neither is necessary, the games are free and open to all students.

Holly Logan can be reached at Hlogan@temple.edu