Student heads a disaster relief charity benefit

A Temple University student is contributing to the healing process of the Sept. 11 tragedies. Senior Todd Metzger is in charge of a disaster relief benefit scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 13. “This tragedy is nothing

A Temple University student is contributing to the healing process of the Sept. 11 tragedies. Senior Todd Metzger is in charge of a disaster relief benefit scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 13.

“This tragedy is nothing that we are able to dismiss. This benefit is part of the healing process,” said Metzger.

The benefit is a charity ball that will be held at Metzger’s workplace, the 2-4 Club, 1221 St. James St. in Center City. The event begins at 8 p.m. and lasts until midnight. Advance tickets are $10. Donations of gift certificates for a raffle are also being accepted.

After the Sept. 11 tragedies, Metzger and friend Matt Newlin were waiting to be on the Red Cross list to donate blood. Because they did not want to wait any longer to help, Newlin suggested the idea for a disaster relief benefit of their own.

“Matt is such a morale booster. He was the inspiration for this. He totally inspired me,” Metzger said. “I want to give him thanks.”

The charity ball is open to the public; however, the event is age restricted to 21 and over.

“We want people to see how this tragedy matters to us,” said Metzger.

Even though they can’t attend the benefit, students under 21 who are interested in contributing to the fund should contact Metzger.

Money raised through this event will go to the New York State World Trade Center Relief Fund, an organization set up by the New York State government. This organization was chosen because it was a government organization. All proceeds — including tickets, raffle money, bartender tips and wages — will be donated to the fund.

For more information or to inquire about volunteer opportunities contact Todd Metzger at 215-732-8188 or e-mail at odoslink@earthlink.net