Student hospitalized after assault near Anderson Hall

At 12:25 a.m., Temple’s new emergency alert system issued its first advisory since its recent implementation about an assault that occurred in Anderson Hall between 6 and 7 p.m. The notification e-mail read that the

At 12:25 a.m., Temple’s new emergency alert system issued its first advisory since its recent implementation about an assault that occurred in Anderson Hall between 6 and 7 p.m.

The notification e-mail read that the victim was hospitalized for observation overnight and described the perpetrator of the crime as a “white male with dark hair … approximately 5-feet-7 inches to 5-feet-9 inches tall.”

The victim was a graduate student, according to Philly.com.

University Communications Director Ray Betzner emphasized that officials in his department knew no more about the incident than students who received the e-mail.

“We want to make sure you’re aware of your surroundings,” he said. “If you feel uncomfortable or concerned about your safety, please call Campus Police.”

There is speculation around campus that AlliedBarton security guards will require sign-ins this morning before classes in some buildings on campus, including Gladfelter Hall. But Betzner said he did not know whether the sign-ins had any relation to last night’s incident.

Temple University Police Capt. Robert Lowell was unavailable for comment this morning.

According to the e-mail alert, Campus Police in conjunction with Philadelphia Police are currently reviewing tapes from security cameras and leads.

Any student with information about this incident is being strongly urged to call Campus Police at 215-204-1234.

“If anybody saw or heard anything unusual in that area, please contact Campus Police,” Betzner said.

Morgan A. Zalot can be reached at morgan.zalot@temple.edu

1 Trackback / Pingback

1. Broad&Cecil - The blog of The Temple News - » Man faces up to 97 years for Anderson assault