Support a candidate, not all his beliefs

Dear Editor: This letter is a response to Ashwin Verghese’s decision not to vote [“Refuse to choose from the lesser of two evils,” Ashwin Verghese, April 22, 2008]. I can definitely understand where Ashwin is

Dear Editor:

This letter is a response to Ashwin Verghese’s decision not to vote [“Refuse to choose from the lesser of two evils,” Ashwin Verghese, April 22, 2008]. I can definitely understand where Ashwin is coming from on this issue, but I feel that his decision may not be the best one.

I too was very disappointed with the outcome of the 2004 presidential election. It was my first time voting, and I voted for Sen. John Kerry. We had to deal with Bush for another four years, but that should not deter us from making it to the polls for the 2008 presidential election.

Each candidate will have ideas that you may not fully support, but when it comes to policy-making, things cannot be customized to meet everyone’s individual needs. I support Sen. Barack Obama because I believe that he could really make a difference and unite this nation. I am fully aware that some of his plans are not perfect, but I also know that no one can please everyone.

When voting for a president, people should really think about what they don’t like about the current situation and choose the candidate with the best plan to resolve the problems. Not voting is like accepting the status quo, and nothing can be changed without action.

Rajeeyah Henry
BTMM major
Class of 2008