Temple by the numbers

A look at some notable statistics following Temple’s second-round tournament win.

Temple’s win against NC State ultimately was a game of numbers. Here’s a few notable statistics from the Owls’ 76-72 second-round win against North Carolina State.

HUA ZONG | TTN
HUA ZONG | TTN

31- Points scored by senior guard Khalif Wyatt. The mark is the highest out of any player thus far in the 2013 NCAA tournament. Wyatt shot 9-of-22 from the field in addition to his five assists and no turnovers.

200- Made free throws on the season for Wyatt. The senior who went 12-of-14 from the charity stripe in the game eclipsed Hal Lear’s mark of 189 in a season that has stood as a Temple record from 1956.

50- Points the Wolfpack scored in the second half of the game to mount their comeback. Despite the 12-point scoring advantage it held against Temple after intermission, the Wolfpack were unable to erase a 16 point first-half deficit.

24- Disadvantage Temple held in points in the paint, being outscored 48-24 in the painted area. Temple came into the contest undersized by an average margin of two inches per starting player. The disadvantage was also coupled with a minues-10 differential in rebounding. Temple’s next opponent, Indiana, out-rebounds teams by an average of 7.7 boards per game.

70.4/40.0- Shooting percentage for NC State and Temple, respectively, in the second half. The Wolfpack shot a high percentage from beyond the arc as well, shooting 75 percent. For the course of the game, the Owls shot 48 percent from the floor while NC State shot 55.8 percent.

11- Advantage the Owls held in points off turnovers. Temple coughed the ball up five times over the course of the game compared to NC State’s 13 giveaways. The Owls converted these turnovers into 17 points.

6-0- Record of Atlantic 10 Conference teams in the 2013 tournament. No. 4 Saint Louis, No. 5 Virginia Commonwealth, No. 6 Butler, No. 9 Temple and No. 13 La Salle all advanced to the third round of the tournament. La Salle also beat Boise State in the first round on Wednesday. The first conference teams that could play each other would be Temple playing Butler for a chance to go to the Final Four. The five teams are represented in each of the four regional brackets.

Ibrahim Jacobs can be reached at ibrahim.jacobs@temple.edu or on Twitter @ibrahimjacobs.