Temple falls to City Six rival Penn on Sunday

The team’s record is 2-9 after it lost its third game on Sunday.

Freshman back Claire Thomas advances the ball during Owls’ 2-3 loss against Providence College at Howarth Field on Sept. 25. | JAMIE COTTRELL / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Temple University’s field hockey team (2-9, 0-3 Big East Conference) lost 3-0 to Penn (5-5, 1-1 Ivy League) on Sunday at Ellen Vagelos Field on Penn’s campus. This was the third consecutive game the Owls lost this season.

The Quakers outshot Temple 23-1 in the Owls’ City Six loss. The Owls struggled to consistently get the ball to the offensive circle, and they did not record their only shot until there were less than three minutes remaining in the game.

Penn junior back Alexa Schneck opened up the scoring on the Quakers’ first shot of the game off a penalty corner in the fourth minute. Schneck’s opening goal was the only tally on the scoreboard until sophomore midfielder Erin Kelly found the back of the net in the 52nd minute. Kelly later assisted Schneck’s second goal of the game in the 61st minute.

“To come out here and miss out on opportunities we had, as a coach, it’s not something that you want to have your team do,” said Temple coach Marybeth Freeman.

The Owls looked disconnected during the game partly due to Penn’s aggressive pressure. When Temple gained possession, players often could make an initial lateral pass, but not make a third pass to carry the ball upfield.

Sophomore midfielder Taylor Alba controls the ball during the Owls’ 2-3 loss against Providence College at Howarth Field on Sept. 25. | JAMIE COTTRELL / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Penn held junior midfielder Kathryn Edgar, who recorded 17 shots in Temple’s three games prior to Sunday, without an attempt.

The Quakers also limited junior forward Lucy Reed, whose only shot attempt was blocked. Reed usually carries the ball to a corner and works along the back line into the circle, but she was held back for most of the game.

“Penn joined well together,” junior back Becky Gerhart said. “I think we could have [used our teammates] more.”

Freeman adjusted the defense during the game. Freshman back Claire Thomas, who has been a starter since the Owls’ Aug. 31 game against Penn State, played only 24 minutes on Sunday.

Freeman moved sophomore midfielder Taylor Alba to defense in Thomas’ place on the right side and later shifted her to the center.

“Taylor’s been really versatile for us,” Freeman said. “I think that she did a good job stepping into that role and she made some really key saves.”

Senior goalkeeper Chloe Johnson recorded 11 saves. Sunday marked the sixth time this season Johnson has recorded double-digit saves in a game.

Temple will face Georgetown University (8-3, 1-2 Big East) Friday at Howarth Field.