Temple freshman receives shoulder surgery

Arashma Parks injured his right shoulder in practice on Sept. 29.

Temple University forward Arashma Parks — the men’s basketball team’s lone freshman — underwent successful right shoulder surgery on Wednesday, the team announced.

Parks suffered the injury during practice on Sept. 29. He is expected to make a full recovery, but there is currently no timetable for his return to the court, according to a press release.

Parks is one of three new players on Temple’s roster this season. The 6-foot-9 forward averaged 11.6 points, 9.2 rebounds, 1.3 blocks and shot 56 percent from the field during his senior season at The Phelps School in Malvern, Pennsylvania.

“The doctors have said that everything went according to plan so that’s great,” coach Fran Dunphy said. “Now it is just a wait and see kind of thing. I think they told me he is gonna be in a sling for the better part of four weeks.”

Parks helped The Phelps School finish 21-12 last year. Parks, ranked as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, verbally committed to play at Temple on Aug 3, 2017, before later signing his National Letter of Intent.

While at the Phelps School, Parks played under coach Brian Shanahan, who played for Temple 2005-07 as a walk-on point guard.

Before he played for the Phelps School, Parks competed for Springfield Commonwealth Academy in Massachusetts from 2014-17. Parks chose Temple over an offer from the University of Pittsburgh, among other schools.