Temple Outdoor Club plans ski trip

The Temple Outdoor Club strives to encourage outdoor activity throughout the year.

COURTESY TEMPLE OUTDOOR CLUB
COURTESY TEMPLE OUTDOOR CLUB

For those that aren’t content with the urban atmosphere that the city of Philadelphia brings, through the Temple Outdoor Club students can go camping, backpacking, hiking and skiing during colder seasons.

Andrew Sandefur, Lindsey Johnson and Maria Olaya, several e-board members of the student-run organization, said that after their move to a large city setting for college, the outdoor club first appealed to them.

Johnson and Olaya said they discovered the club during their freshman years and while Johnson was already familiar with activities such as camping because of past family outings, Olaya said she felt like the club was a way to escape from the city atmosphere. She said she felt it would be nice to venture out and go away.

Sandefur stated that whilst he found out about the Temple Outdoor Club during his sophomore year and felt it would be nice to get out of the city as well and gain exposure to other parts of Pennsylvania, since he was from rural Connecticut.

Since being in the outdoor organization the students have taken trips to Pinnacle and Pulpit Trail in Berks County, where there was an opportunity to travel on part of the Appalachian Trail.  Participating group members were able to spend a full weekend camping and exploring in the wilderness.

This winter, the Temple Outdoor Club tried to keep members active even during an onslaught of winter weather, during which several snowstorms ensued.

The Temple Outdoor Club is a student-run club that encourages members to stay active in an outdoor setting throughout the academic year. This winter, the club went on several skiing trips due to the inclement weather. | COURTESY TEMPLE OUTDOOR CLUB

Though an upcoming ski trip was canceled due to inclement weather, it was postponed until after Spring Break for those who have interest in the slopes at Jack Frost Big Boulder Ski Resort in Blakeslee, PA. Students with minimal snowboarding experience will have the opportunity to learn the skill on the rescheduled outing.

Johnson said member interest was of the utmost priority and said the club has had workshops explaining some necessary facts for club excursions. She said though some students think they lack the skill to join, like experience riding and maintaining a bike, the organization will teach those skills. In addition, the club partners with Temple’s Emergency Medical Transport to teach students how to use EpiPens, among other safety precautions.

The club strives to provide year-round opportunities for physical activity in outdoor settings for its members.

Maya Aguilar can be reached at maya.aguilar@temple.edu.