Temple Student Government conducts first meeting

At the first meeting of the 2004 semester, Temple Student Government (TSG) members were welcomed back to the 22nd general assembly. The meeting, which was held in Ritter Hall’s Walk Auditorium Monday evening, was used

At the first meeting of the 2004 semester, Temple Student Government (TSG) members were welcomed back to the 22nd general assembly.

The meeting, which was held in Ritter Hall’s Walk Auditorium Monday evening, was used as a way for TSG members to reacquaint themselves with their peers, and for new members to have guidelines expressly outlined.

Next week TSG will be meeting with University officials to discuss the issue of student workers receiving bi-weekly paychecks as opposed to the previous weekly payments.

“Over the summer there was a decision made that students’ working pay period would be changed to a bi-weekly pay period,” new TSG President Naeem Thompson said. “That issue has been addressed and we’ll be meeting with [Vice President of Student Affairs] Dr. [Theresa] Powell to discuss that issue and discuss why students weren’t included in the decision.”

Several issues were discussed such as the current allocations budget for TSG groups. With an increase from last year of $1,035, the current TSG allocations budget stands at $68,000 for the 2004-05 school year.

Groups seeking funding from the allocations committee were presented with two options for receiving funds. The first option requires groups to schedule their meetings and events well in advance and presenting their bills to the student activities office.

Also, groups can pay for their own activities and retain all of their receipts to receive reimbursement from the allocations committee Chairman Michael Tramontana. The application deadline for groups seeking funding is currently set as Tuesday, Sept. 21. A main requirement for all groups to receive funding is mandatory community service as a means of compensation for any funding received.

Among many guest speakers making announcements before the assembly, Thompson spoke about the routines of TSG.

“It’s also important for you guys to know the checks and balances of the government,” he said. “You guys have to know that what I say does not necessarily make a policy. I can be questioned on many things. In turn, all of you can be held accountable for certain things. There are checks and balances that you all need to be aware of.”

As part of six resolutions brought to the general assembly, various fraternity and sorority groups from campus were sworn in and confirmed as general assembly representatives.

As representatives, groups are able to participate in all issues that are discussed in the assembly, as well as voting for resolutions and bills. Future meetings are to be held every Monday at 4:15 in Ritter Hall’s Walk Auditorium.

Joe Redding can be reached at jreddi01@temple.edu.