Temple Student Receives Prestigious Award

A Temple student is one of five students across the nation to win a National Pan-Hellenic Conference Foundation award. Rebecca Bradley, a junior art history major, won one of the $1,000 scholarships based on her

A Temple student is one of five students across the nation to win a National Pan-Hellenic Conference Foundation award. Rebecca Bradley, a junior art history major, won one of the $1,000 scholarships based on her academic achievements and extracurricular contribution to their sorority chapters.

Recipients are selected from applicants representing College Panhellenic Associations in each of four Greek conferences regions – the Mid-American Greek Council Association, the Northeast Greek Leadership Association, the Southeastern Panhellenic Conference, and the Western Regional Greek Leadership Conference.

When she found out she won, Bradley said she was in a complete shock.

“I was taken aback and didn’t really know what to say or even who to tell,” Bradley said. “It proves my ability as both a leader outside the Greek community and within it.”

Bradley said she hopes that by her winning this scholarship, Temple Greek life will be looked at more positively.

“It also proves that Temple’s Greek life is improving,” Bradley said. “While some people, even faculty members, view Temple’s Greek program in a negative light, achievements such as this help to show them differently.”

Rebecca says that when she first applied for the scholarship she wasn’t exactly familiar with what exactly what it entailed, “but when I won I was extremely happy to hear that I won $1,000.”

As the winner, Bradley will now serve as the 2006 president of the Temple University Panhellenic Council. As a president, she said she plans to secure a successful recruitment in the fall and educate Greek women on the purpose of Pan-Hellenic.

Bradley is the 2006 Northeast Greek Leadership Association recipient, and a member of Delta Zeta sorority. She is also a member of the National Leadership Recognition Society for Sorority Women and will be inducted into the Academic Honorary Society of Greek Organization Members at the end of April. She also works at the Temple Art Gallery in Old City.

To qualify for a National Pan-Hellenic Conference Foundation scholarship, applicants must send in a letter of recommendation, an essay explaining monetary situations, leadership abilities and accomplishments within the Temple Panhellenic Association. A copy of a transcript is also required. More information is available at www.npcwomen.org.

Liron Milbar can be reached at lmilbar@temple.edu.