Temple students unite at blood drive

As the memories of the Sept. 11 tragedy still float in people’s minds and hearts, American citizens from all over are uniting to help each other through this difficult period. It was expected that about

As the memories of the Sept. 11 tragedy still float in people’s minds and hearts, American citizens from all over are uniting to help each other through this difficult period.

It was expected that about 60 students would donate blood, but 120 students signed up before the drive began.

On campus, Temple Students are uniting as well.

The Red Cross Blood Drive was held on Tuesday, Sept. 18. Students from all over the main campus congregated in the social lounge at the Johnson and Hardwick Residence Hall to give blood for the effort of saving others.

The student’s response to the blood drive was astonishing. Volunteers and nurses at the blood drive were not expecting such a huge gathering of students. It was expected that about 60 students would donate blood, but 120 students signed up before the drive began.

However, both of the estimated amounts did not come close to the actual number that attended. There was such a tremendous turnout that many students had to sign a waiting list for the next blood drive.

Jean Eddings, who has been a Red Cross volunteer for the past 13 years, was excited over the turnout and the enthusiasm of the students.

“The kids are coming through great. This is phenomenal,” said Eddings with a smile.

Abbey Taylor, the coordinator of the blood drive for all of the Temple campuses and other Philadelphia colleges, was just as enthusiastic about the hard work and participation of the students and volunteers.

Despite students having to wait a few hours to give blood, the devotion and dedication was still ongoing in the atmosphere.

Evan Hoffman, a freshman Dance major, did believe it was a long wait, but it was for a good cause.

“It was worth it. You are saving lives and helping others. This event has brought the Temple community together,” Hoffman said.