Temple University Security

Dear Editor, After reading the recent article about unionizing the Temple University security I was shocked by the following statement: “(Mike) Johnson described his job training as inadequate, which he said consisted of watching videos

Dear Editor,

After reading the recent article about unionizing the Temple University security I was shocked by the following statement:

“(Mike) Johnson described his job training as inadequate, which he said consisted of watching videos and being tested on them.

“It was all visual training,” he said. “After you take this visual training, then you fill out your application and if you’re accepted, you go in the back and get your uniform.” ”

If this level of training is true then Temple University should now be looking for better security firm to protect our students, faculty and staff.

I and many other Temple employees, who go in and out of campus buildings every day, know that the process of checking for campus ID’s is extremely poor. In my eight years of teaching ID’s are checked at the beginning of the semester and then not at all for the rest of the semester.

I teach in the Tuttleman Building and even though I pull out my ID when I walk past the guard post it is hardly ever acknowledged. In buildings like Speakman and Wachman the ID checking is spotty at best.

Anyone can walk off the street and get into our campus buildings without much effort. I am especially concerned about the Student Activity Center – there is no security visible there in such a large, public gathering location on campus. No ID’s are checked and anyone can get to the food court, bathrooms, the credit union bank or the bookstore.

As an employee of Temple University I think we deserve better security. I do hope that this issue is addressed quickly before we have a serious incident in a classroom or office at Temple University.

As a teacher I do not feel secure in my classroom or in my office because we do not have well trained security guards at the front door of our buildings.

Peter Cook
CIS Department