Temple University’s U.S. campuses close for inclement weather

Temple University canceled classes after 3:30 p.m. due to winter weather hitting the Philadelphia region.

A campus street sweeper clears snow from Polett Walk near 13th Street on Thursday. Temple closed its U.S. campuses due to snow on Thursday. | LUKE SMITH / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Temple University closed its U.S. campuses early on Thursday due to inclement weather.

The National Weather Service issued a new Winter Weather Advisory at 3:45 p.m. for the Philadelphia region lasting until 6 p.m., calling for mixed precipitation of snow and sleet. It estimated total snow and sleet accumulations of 2 to 4 inches and a “light glaze” of ice.

The university canceled all classes that began after 3:30 p.m. Essential employees were instructed to complete their shifts and report to work despite weather conditions, while non-essential employees were dismissed after 3:30 p.m., according to a university statement.

Ambler Campus operations also closed at 3:30 p.m.

Residence halls and dining halls will maintain their regular hours, along with the TECH Center and Campus Recreation facilities. The Student Center will remain open until 8:30 p.m.

“Campus Safety Services, Operations, Facilities and other staff will be on duty and working to ensure the safety and comfort of the Temple community,” the university stated.