Temple’s own “Millionaire”

Ever find yourself watching a game show where you think you could do better than the contestants? Temple’s own Justin Bowers thought that once, put his theory to the test, and on Feb. 4 and

Ever find yourself watching a game show where you think you could do better than the contestants? Temple’s own Justin Bowers thought that once, put his theory to the test, and on Feb. 4 and 7 will appear on the college edition of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire.”

Last October, Bowers — a transfer student from the University of Delaware — saw a commercial on 6ABC for auditions at the Marriott Hotel on 12th and Market streets. He decided to try out for the heck of it.

“At the Marriott we had to stand in a line for a really long time and then we took a test of random knowledge question[s],” Bowers said.

After the first test the crowd of approximately 250 people was lessened to about 30. Bowers passed the first part. From there he filled out an application and went home. He was told he had made it into the contestant pool, but was not sure if he would appear on the show. Bowers finally received word after what seemed like ages, and on Nov. 14 he found himself and his girlfriend Tricia in a Lincoln Town Car on their way to the Big Apple for a 3-day mini-vacation with Regis.

The taping for both episodes took only one long day. Bowers was excited to be on the set, but found himself surprised by its size. “It amazing how they can fit the camera and audience and everything. It’s so small.”

After acing the fastest finger round, he headed toward the hot seat to face Regis, who he describes as “hilarious.”

Bowers makes it to the hot seat, we can tell you that. And he uses all his lifelines. But, how much money did he actually win? Although he wouldn’t give an exact amount, Bowers conceded that it is quite a lot.

“With [some of] the money I am going on a trip snow boarding to British Columbia with my roommate. The rest, I haven’t decided what to do with.”

“Who Wants to be a Millionaire” with Bowers airs on Feb. 4 and 7 at 8 p.m. on 6ABC.