Temple’s Top Model selected last month

On Feb. 28, Residence Hall Association hosted Temple’s Next Top Model in the Student Center to encourage being bold and true to oneself. Society often gets caught up in the vanities of life: being skinny

On Feb. 28, Residence Hall Association hosted Temple’s Next Top Model in the Student Center to encourage being bold and true to oneself.

Society often gets caught up in the vanities of life: being skinny enough, tall enough, having prettier hair, a smaller nose, longer legs, bigger muscles or a better body.

In an effort to celebrate diversity and bring the beauty of the student body to the runway, Residence Hall Association encouraged students to break out from their shells. Temple’s Next Top Model, held on Feb. 28 in the Student Center, was a rebuttal against societal standards of the “perfect image.” It was a night to celebrate being bold, and most importantly, being oneself.

Students from various backgrounds did just this as they strutted up and down the runway. There was a pre-show before the main event, where the Ladies of Elegance Step organization performed a high-energy routine preparing the crowded room for the runway show. The show began with a creative runway walk, during which each of the models showcased his or her personal style. Next on the show’s schedule was a behind-the-scenes video of what it took to make the show come fruition. After, the models walked once more for what was called the “Night on the Town” walk.

Although all the models agreed participating in the show ultimately helped them to breakout of their shells and to be themselves, there had to be winners and losers. Student group Dynasty Models judged the event and selected Dana Dunwoody and Muhammad Usman as Temple’s Next Top Models.

The event promoted the importance of appreciating ones self-image.

“We are all perfect in our own way,” sophomore marketing major Brian Maher said.

Maher participated in the show, showcasing his personal style with confidence wearing an argyle sweater and khaki pants. Maher is a resident assistant at Temple Towers, and said he was looking for the opportunity to do something different, and ultimately break out of his shell.

“I just wanted to expand my horizons and try something completely outside of my comfort zone,” Maher said.

Usman, the winner amongst the male models, said, “I was looking for an opportunity to meet more people, so I found this opportunity and decided to try out.”

Usman is a residential assistant in White Hall, and is a junior political science major.

The mission of RHA is to offer a voice throughout the diverse community on Main Campus. The Top Model event did just that, and sparked  friendships amongst a diverse group of students.

“This event was good way to celebrate the diversity of this campus, with others who may have hobbies and interest in the same field,” Nu’Rodney Prad, the RHA advisor said.

“It was our hope to spread self image and not to fit a particular type, we wanted the students to express who they are and what they like,” Prad added.

Some models said that this opportunity allowed them to meet people from all different backgrounds, and walk down a runway in front of a crowd just as diverse as the models.

“Temple is a diverse community that encourages its students to express themselves,” junior sociology major and female winner Dunwoody said. “It’s your own personal statement.”

Priscilla Ward can be reached at priscilla.ward@temple.edu.