The 15 best student artists: Hallie Lehuta

Fifteen artists were chosen to share their stories in our special issue, created to showcase some of Temple’s most passionate and creative on-campus talent.

(Courtesy Hallie Lehuta)

Year: Junior
Major: Printmaking and art education

With a mother and an aunt who both attended the Tyler School of Art, Hallie Lehuta has always been surrounded by art. However, it wasn’t until high school that Lehuta realized she wanted art to be the focus of her future career.

It was this realization that prompted her to apply to Tyler, her dream art school, located about an hour from her hometown of Perkasie, Pa. Since being accepted to Tyler, junior printmaking and art education major Lehuta has won multiple artists’ awards.

Lehuta was awarded a $1,000 scholarship from the Pennridge Chamber of Commerce. The scholarship could be used at any art school of her choice.

She also received the Dean’s Promising Artist award after submitting a portfolio of her work, which was honored with a $1,000 merit scholarship, as well as a $50 grant for Tyler’s supply store.

Although many of her individual pieces of work have been awarded prizes, Lehuta says the greatest accomplishment comes from within.

“If I can be happy with the work that I am creating, and if others can relate and identify and be inspired by my work, that is the greatest success of all,” she said.

Lehuta said numerous artists inspire her, but the everyday aspects of life provide equal inspiration.
“I can look at a piece of art and know what I like, but I can also look at how rain collects on a window and feel just as inspired,” she said.

Lehuta is currently studying abroad in Rome, where she recently showed her work. Lehuta and classmates from her painting class were invited to create paintings for a charity masquerade ball hosted by the French ambassador.

After graduating from Tyler, Lehuta plans to pursue an advanced degree in printmaking and is considering moving overseas to continue her future artistic career.

“Who wouldn’t want to make art in Rome?” Lehuta said.

Lehuta said she is a country girl at heart and is grateful for her family.

“I wouldn’t be where I was today,” she said, “if it weren’t for the love and support of my family.”

Grace Dickinson can be reached at grace.dickinson@temple.edu.