THE IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNICATIONS PROFESSIONALS

A few years ago, I received some unfavorable looks from people when I told them I was going to college to major in broadcast journalism. I’m sure any communications major can relate. Unfortunately, in the

A few years ago, I received some unfavorable looks from people when I told them I was going to college to major in broadcast journalism. I’m sure any communications major can relate.

Unfortunately, in the past, the communications major has been unfairly thought of as unmarketable, easy and a major for those who were undecided about what they wanted to do with their lives.

However, things have changed. With the advent of technological advances, the communications field has come to earn a highly respected reputation. The public has come to realize that communications is involved in everything we do on a daily basis.

Without the work of communications professionals, there would be no fall line-up, “must see TV”, or evening news. They make all of this possible and I know I want to be a part of this.

To understand why I chose to pursue broadcasting as a career, all one needs to do is look at the expansion of communications departments in universities.

Broadcasting is a highly desired profession, hence its popularity. It is a profession for the dedicated, in which that dedication pays off. Broadcasters make very competitive wages and gain respect and recognition within their communities. This is why it is almost impossible to walk half a block on Temple’s campus and not run into a communications major aspiring to become a broadcaster.

As someone who is seeking a career in broadcasting, the competition is evident, as witnessed even this early on in my path toward my career.

I’ve attended various media events and have observed professional broadcasters. It’s obvious that the business is intense and demanding. However, I realize that no other career comes close to being as rewarding.

Being able to travel to new places and make connections is a definite perk. The opportunities to meet new and different people each day are endless, which is one of the major reasons I find a career in broadcasting worthwhile.

For instance, on a tour of MTV located in New York City’s Times Square, I had the opportunity to speak with an intern. For her, broadcasting was considered rewarding because on that day she had met her idol, Ricky Martin (this was during the height of the popularity of his hit single, “Livin’ La Vida Loca”).

With pursuing broadcast news, I know I’ll have the opportunities to ask the questions not yet asked of the public and political figures that we all know.

In what other field does one have the opportunity to experience such occurrences daily at work? Very few, I’m sure. And that’s what makes broadcasting so attractive and appealing to me.