These cops sure to crack you up

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson buddy up for the sixth time, fighting crime in the film version of the beloved television classic Starsky and Hutch. Stiller stars as David Starsky, a rigid, no-nonsense cop who

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson buddy up for the sixth time, fighting crime in the film version of the beloved television classic Starsky and Hutch.

Stiller stars as David Starsky, a rigid, no-nonsense cop who spends most of his time busting jaywalkers and petty shoplifters. His frenetic approach turns off potential partners, as he has dispensed about a dozen over the course of his tenure with the Bay City Police Department.

After a failed robbery attempt, the problem child of the department, Ken “Hutch” Hutchinson (Wilson) is assigned to Starsky, and the legendary team sees fruition.

The story takes place in 1975, and acts as the prequel to the television series; it is their first big case. The two are assigned to investigate a murder, which leads them to a complex trail of crimes, and the biggest cocaine deal in history.

Vince Vaughn plays a drug kingpin and along with girlfriend Juliette Lewis, he seeks to get rich off the big score. The two bumbling cops are not far behind, though, as they create havoc along their path to solving the crime.

The addition of Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear (the informant/pimp/hustler) is the best casting move of the film. After all, who else could you picture playing the Bear?

The cast works well together in their respective roles, and Stiller and Wilson give dead-on portrayals of their respective characters. Laughs abound as the two seem to find themselves in more ridiculous situations in every frame of the movie.

Like many 70’s television shows turned into movies, the film is more of a spoof than anything. Where the old show seemed exciting, with the latest fashions, cars and ultra-hip disco slang, the movie pokes fun at these out-of-date mishaps and plays off the suspicion that the crimefighting duo might just be gay (wool robe tops?).

Starsky and Hutch is an enjoyable movie overall, and the comedy works well, with each actor having his time in the spotlight for his big joke.

Ross Bercik can be reached at rbercik@temple.edu