Three Owls hear names called at NFL Draft

Tyler Matakevich, Tavon Young and Matt Ioannidis were all selected during rounds four through seven of the 2016 NFL Draft on Saturday.

Temple tied a school record with three Owls selected in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Defensive back Tavon Young, defensive lineman Matt Ioannidis and linebacker Tyler Matakevich were all selected on Saturday.

The only other times in program history when three players were selected in one draft were 1946, 1975, 1980, 1987 and 2012.

Young, who was the first Owl drafted since 2012, was the sixth pick in the fourth round and was selected No. 104 overall by the Baltimore Ravens.

Last season, Young totaled seven pass defensed and 41 total tackles in 11 games after setting career-highs in interceptions and passes defended as a junior with nine and four, respectively.

Ioannidis went next when the Washington Redskins made him the 13th pick in the fifth round, No. 152 overall.

The defensive lineman was a first team All-American Athletic Conference selection last season, when he totaled 39 tackles and 101/2 tackles for loss.

During his time at Temple, Ioannidis totaled 115 tackles and 29 tackles for loss. He also added 10 career sacks.

Matakevich was the last to hear his name called on Saturday.

The Pittsburgh Steelers selected Matakevich with the 26th pick of the seventh round, making him the 246th pick out of 253 players selected in the draft.

The Chuck Bednarik and Bronko Nagurski award winner totaled 138 tackles, 4.5 sacks, and five interceptions in 2015. For his career, Matakevich tallied 493 total tackles, which broke the school record.

Other Owls who did not hear their name called Saturday included offensive lineman Kyle Friend and wide receiver Robby Anderson.