Tips for a fun-Phillyed weekend

Have you ever wanted to know what everyone else is doing on the weekend? Maybe you’ve completely run out of ideas and are in need of a few suggestions on how to make the brief

Have you ever wanted to know what everyone else is doing on the weekend?

Maybe you’ve completely run out of ideas and are in need of a few suggestions on how to make the brief respite from classes fulfilling and exciting.

Perhaps you regularly find yourself pacing back and forth trying to figure out what you and your friends can do that hasn’t already been done a million times before.

Whatever your dilemma may be, a few fellow Temple students have thoughtfully offered a few suggestions on what they think are ways to turn your yawns into genuine cheers.

Shopping and dining out is always an option if your wallet will allow it. Sophomores Rebecca Liddle and Caitlin Shelton can regularly be seen cleaning out the shops on Walnut Street, spending their cash in the ever popular Urban Outfitters.

If they want to catch up on school work or to just have a relaxed place to hang out, they head to some of Philly’s trendy coffee shops including The Bean on South St. and the Philadelphia Java Company on 4th St.

They are also frequent diners at The Olive Garden, and like to casually spend time with friends at the movies or various bars and parties.

Attending cultural events can be a great way to release academic stress that’s usually associated with the ending of a semester. Senior Shelby Bour, a Social Work major from New York regularly attends performances at The Painted Bride Theater.

Located at 230 Vine Street, the Painted Bride offers an affordable variety of cultural programs, celebrating the arts through dance, music, poetry and film.

Bour also suggests taking a stroll through Boathouse Row in Fairmount Park, and afterwards, grabbing a cup of coffee at the artsy Crimson Moon Coffee House in Center City.

If you’re willing to pull yourself out of bed, Bour suggests taking a trip to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and taking advantage of its free admission on Sundays.

“Look for something new and culturally different than your usual routine,” Bour said. “There are lots of free events in the city, you just have to look for them.”

There’s always something to do in the City of Brotherly Love. You just have to be willing to venture into the city and find it!

Andrea BostonJosephine Munis can be reached at aboston@temple.edu