Tragedy should teach us all a lesson

Cori Miller reported for work as usual at Vivacqua Hall last Saturday. The Temple junior’s day started at 6:30 a.m., where as a campus security safety representative, she checked identity cards at her post in

Cori Miller reported for work as usual at Vivacqua Hall last Saturday.

The Temple junior’s day started at 6:30 a.m., where as a campus security safety representative, she checked identity cards at her post in the building’s lobby.

Later that morning Cori walked peacefully through campus with her ex-boyfriend, Shawn Walker, a former Temple student, whom she had dated on and off for several years.

After their stroll, Shawn went to a nearby doughnut shop.

Cori went back to work in a good mood, according to a campus police officer.

Then Shawn came back.

Police say that around 8:00 a.m., Shawn returned to Vivacqua Hall, pulled a gun, and shot Cori in her right eye and in her chest.

He then turned the gun on himself.

Shawn, 21, was pronounced dead at Temple University Hospital. Cori was rushed to Hahnemann University Hospital, where she is listed in guarded but stable condition.

On campus, we live in an isolated utopia of grade point averages versus dorm parties.

If there is a larger lesson to be learned from this tragedy, it is to respect life, to not take its precious moments for granted.

In light of this act of brutality, the sometimes overwhelming aspects of college life — grades, deadlines, part-time jobs and the very act of growing up — should now be considered incredibly underwhelming, if even for a few peaceful moments.

Hopefully, the vast majority of us have never faced so daunting a challenge as the one Cori faces today and will face tomorrow.

And, hopefully, the entire Temple community will remember that one of our own has suffered and needs our unconditional support.

Ralph Marston writes that, “Life is too precious to waste even a few moments, for in each of those moments there is priceless opportunity.”

With the everyday threats of violence — from global war to random street crime — we must strive for peace.

We must learn how to live fully and disagree peaceably. When we don’t, we create a world of fear, isolation and regret.

To those who know Cori, she is a beautiful person with a warm spirit.

That spirit now battles with the fragility of life, brought on by a violent and senseless act.

It is our hope and prayer that this tearful tragedy will yield a joyful ending through Cori’s complete and speedy recovery.

The Temple News editorial board members are:

* Mike Gainer, Editor in Chief
* Jeremy Smith, Managing Editor
* Brian White, News Editor
* Kia Gregory, Opinion Editor

Letters to the editor can be submitted via our Web site @ www.temple-news.com under the “submissions” link. They can also be dropped off at the Temple News office located in the Student Center, Room 315.