TSG asks members for more dedication

Vice President of Student Affairs Dekwuan Postell talked to TSG’s general assembly about accountability and being more dedicated to the student body’s cause. He challenged the general assembly to not only address the administration regarding

Vice President of Student Affairs Dekwuan Postell talked to TSG’s general assembly about accountability and being more dedicated to the student body’s cause. He challenged the general assembly to not only address the administration regarding student issues, but also to follow through with those issues raised by students.

According to Postell, the student government “makes a little fuss about an issue, and then it is kicked under the rug.” He told the general assembly to be “proactive” and not “reactive” and encouraged the general assembly to solve issues right away. He referred to the housing situation, where student protests did not have any effect on the new housing policy.

In addition, Postell introduced Daisy Valentin, member of La Asociacion de Estudiantes Latinos (ADEL), Temple’s Latino student organization. The organization, in an effort to address issues, held a rally on March 17 at the Bell Tower.

According to ADEL’s bulletin, Temple has failed its Latino community in several ways. Temple’s failure to increase the enrollment of Latino students, faculty and staff and its lack of expansion of the Latin American Studies department are two issues ADEL will address.

Valentin said it was time to “step up to the plate.” The rally on Wednesday focused on many of these issues in hopes that the administration will cooperate with the requests of the organization.

Also on March 17, a Clean Energy Campaign was held at the Bell Tower.

The event showcased “workshops, teach-ins and tables to inform students and faculty of what is environmentally friendly and what it means to be environmentally responsible,” said chairman of TSG’s Environmental Committee, Yosef Kalish.

The campaign had a demonstration of solar energy and sustainable designs- designs that are built in a manner that is environmentally friendly, economically responsible and cost effective.

Furthermore, TSG president Bryan Carter plans to write up a formal housing proposal that will include an addendum to allow students to pay for off-campus housing in their tuition bills. Carter hopes to discuss this in an executive meeting to be held on Thursday.

TSG will send representatives to the Greater Philadelphia Student Association (GPSA) conference on March 21 at Chestnut Hill College.

The conference will serve as a forum for student leaders to come together to share ideas. Anyone interested in attending should contact Carter.

Charmie Snetter can be reached at snett77@temple.edu.