TSG honors other university groups

While its meetings are usually a lesson in gaining recognition, the Temple Student Government (TSG) used Monday’s summit to recognize their contributors. Sarah Baker and Dekwuan Postell, Vice Presidents of Academic Affairs and Student Affairs

While its meetings are usually a lesson in gaining recognition, the Temple Student Government (TSG) used Monday’s summit to recognize their contributors.

Sarah Baker and Dekwuan Postell, Vice Presidents of Academic Affairs and Student Affairs respectively, had the chance to praise the two largest organizations on campus other than TSG-the Main Campus Program Board and Office of Student Activities.

“We’d like to thank you for all of the work you’ve done,” Baker said.

Surprised by her award, Rita Calicat, Director of Student Activities, promised that she “doesn’t cry in public,” and thanked TSG for being “the life of the university.”

On the other hand, Richard Kopp, Program Coordinator, used the award as an opportunity to look ahead to TSG’s future relationship with the Office of Student Activities. Kopp promised that the office “supports everything you do, and now we know that you support everything we do,” Kopp said.

Most of the collaboration between the Assembly and the Office of Student Affairs has come recently, specifically with the recent “Vote or Die” campaign. While the campaign’s message has been disputed by administrators and students alike, no one at the meeting could disagree that the activity’s planners performed flawlessly.

Calicat congratulated the students, saying that she had never seen students come together in such a way and get things done.

A second party, the Main Campus Program Board (MCPB), was also recognized for their efforts. Jae Hadaway, chairman of the Contemporary Music Committee, thanked TSG not only for their award, but also for everything they’ve done for them.

“MCPB would like to thank all students that came to ‘Vote or Die.’ No matter what happened, it was a demonstration of unity on this campus,” Hadaway said.

However, TSG had other business as well. TSG President Naeem Thompson asked students how they felt about President David Adamany’s visit last week. Most of the students concerns centered on the fact that Adamany didn’t believe that the assembly’s allocations budget would increase in the near future.

Allocations Board Chairman Michael Tramontana spoke with the representatives, telling them that “allocations isn’t the party it was last year. The number of organizations has increased greatly.”

TSG received $110,000 to allocate to its 140+ organizations this year. That is no greater than last year’s figure, when the number of organizations was considerably smaller. Tramontana offered an interesting take on the assembly’s financial situation.

“I used to be ‘Rich Uncle Mikey,'” Tramontana said. “Now I’m the stingy dad that won’t give you a dollar.”

Christopher Reber can be reached at christopher.reber@temple.edu.