TSG hosts third State of the Campus address

On Nov. 22, Temple Student Government held its third State of the Campus address in which representatives from Legal Services and Campus Safety were present to discuss policies over the holiday breaks. To begin the

On Nov. 22, Temple Student Government held its third State of the Campus address in which representatives from Legal Services and Campus Safety were present to discuss policies over the holiday breaks.

To begin the meeting, a survey was handed out to students in which they were asked a series of questions about off-campus housing and parties.

After this, Chair of Legal Services Stephanie Moyer presented an overview to expect from her office next semester.

On Feb. 21 and 22, Temple law alumni will be coming to campus to answer any legal questions students may have. The event will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on both days, and the location is to be announced.

Moyer said last year students came specifically for landlord and lease issues, but any legal questions are welcome.

Campus Safety Captain Eileen Bradley then introduced former Assistant Director of Community Relations Monica Hankins, who is now working with Campus Safety.

Bradley said in the early spring, Campus Safety will visit some of the resident halls on campus to educate students on how to be a good neighbor in the community.

“One of the things [Hankins and I] both do is answer community complaints, and that is in fact sometimes in the realm of house parties,” Bradley said.  “One of the things we try to do is talk to the students before they go and look for off-campus housing.”

Bradley then reminded students about the Annual Children’s Holiday Party, which is sponsored by Campus Safety.

Bradley said she is looking for volunteers to help with gift-wrapping from Nov. 29 through Dec. 3 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 1101 W. Montgomery Ave., as well as holiday party volunteers for Dec. 4 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Liacouras Center.

Bradley then went over Thanksgiving and Christmas break safety tips and answered students’ questions.

Students, Bradley said, should make sure their alarms are set before they leave for break and communicate with their roommates about plans for the holidays in order to avoid confusion.

Before ending the meeting, student organizations were invited to make announcements about upcoming events.

TSG will resume its regular meetings on Nov. 29.

Cary Carr can be reached at cary.carr@temple.edu.