Tuition increases 6 percent this year

Temple University’s tuition for both Pennsylvania residents and out-of-state students will increase 6 percent for the 2004-2005 school year, according to a News and Media Relations press release. The release has not yet been issued

Temple University’s tuition for both Pennsylvania residents and out-of-state students will increase 6 percent for the 2004-2005 school year, according to a News and Media Relations press release.

The release has not yet been issued to students through the What’s New e-mail list, the usual method for distribution of information on new tuition rates.

Full-time tuition for in-state students will rise $488, from $8,134 to $8,622. For out-of-state students, tuition goes from $14,894 to $15,788, an $894 hike.

The part-time tuition rate also went up 6 percent. For Pennsylvania residents, the per-credit rate increased from $315 to $334. The per-credit rate for out-of-state students went from $530 to $562.

The release, dated July 6, 2004, calls the increase “the lowest percentage increase in three years.” Tuition for the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 school years increased 7 percent for in-state students and 7.5 percent for out of state students each year. There was a 9-percent increase for both groups in 2001-2002.

In the 2000-2001 school year, Pennsylvania residents saw a 4.6-percent hike, while tuition for out-of-state students climbed 5.7 percent.

The Student Health Fee was also increased, from $100 per year to $120. Other fees remained the same.

This year was also the first in several years that the state gave Temple more money than it had in previous years. The newly approved state budget had a 3 percent increase in funding for Temple. Last year, aid was cut by 5 percent.

The press release announcing the tuition increase can be found here.

The full tuition schedule for all of Temple’s schools and colleges can be found here.

A full article on the new tuition rates will in the first fall issue of The Temple News (date to be announced).