Tutelman takes on new position

After 25 years working at Temple, Elizabeth Leebron Tutelman recently took on a brand new dual role as senior vice provost and dean of students.

When Temple welcomed its newest students Aug. 29, the university introduced them to the woman chosen to fill its newest faculty position, which combines the tasks of senior vice provost and dean of students.

Dr. Elizabeth Leebron Tutelman, a faculty member of 25 years and former senior faculty advisor to the provost, assumed her dual role in June after being appointed by President Ann Weaver Hart. The once-separate positions were combined in order “to blend curricular with co-curricular activities,” Hart said in a statement at the time of Tutelman’s appointment.

As senior faculty advisor, Tutelman helped to develop the Academic Strategic Compass, a program led by Provost Lisa Staiano-Coico. A five-year outline of the university’s goals and priorities, the project is one of Tutelman’s most significant achievements, she said.

In her new position, Tutelman will work to help the university meet those goals.

One of her duties will be overseeing the Career Center, which recently started establishing a new internship program. Tutelman previously worked to place students in internships during her tenure as co-director of the broadcast, telecommunications and mass media department’s internship program.

“The [Career] Center, under the leadership of Rachel Brown, is strengthening its corporate partnerships, partnering on leadership programming and seeks to develop more opportunities for graduate and professional students, international students and transfers,” Tutelman said.

The center will also be expanding its services to alumni, helping them with networking and job placement.

Her new role will also bring the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards and the Office of Orientation under her control. She hopes to improve orientation week for both freshmen and transfer students and to emphasize the importance of both academic and co-curricular pursuits.

As for the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards, Tutelman said she hopes Temple’s newly amended code of conduct is “less legalistic and more educational.”

Donald Hoegg can be reached at donald.hoegg@temple.edu.